12 foot thompson rowboat help

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

MichAngler

12 foot thompson rowboat help

Post by MichAngler »

Hello My neighbor has a Thompson row boat that he restored and doesn't know much other then it is a Thompson and that it's from the late 40's or early 50's The ID number has been lost so I’m hoping one of you great folks can help him out.

Here is one picture but you can see many larger ones at this URL http://www.fishingpixels.com/thompsonboat.html

Thanks

a j r

Post by a j r »

Welcome, Your link to the pictures did not work. Is there any type of ID on the boat? Hull ID stamped into the wood of the transom? Metal plate with make and location? Anything?

Is it wood or fiberglass or ?? If wood, is it bead and cove cedar strip construction or thin planks covered in canvas or plywood lapstrake?

You can email pictures and information directly to me if desired: thompsonboat@msn.com

Andreas
MichAngler

Post by MichAngler »

Hi Andreas,

Sorry about the link/pictures, the server that I have them on was down this morning, but as you can see they are back up now.

As you can see it’s a cedar strip canvas covered hull

Please understand my neighbor had no idea what he had and restored the boat the way he thought it should look.

As for an ID number that is either long gone or covered and unable to be retrieved.

We are guessing that this is a late 40’s or early 50’s 12 foot take-along
a j r

Post by a j r »

Is this thing on ebay for sale right now?

I agree she looks like a Take-Along - not cedar strip however. Thin planking that is supposed to be canvas covered. There is no way to date the boat without a hull ID. The model 240 Take-Along was introduced in 1946 and made thru 1962. Late '40s to early '50s is a good guess.

Andreas
MichAngler

Post by MichAngler »

Yes I have listed it for him on Ebay and the number one question I'm getting is what year is it

This is canvas covered! He soaked the canvas in marine spar urethane and then painted it

It is a beautiful boat but it’s not restored to original condition, and I’m getting a lot of emails from Ebay visitors telling me all about how it’s not restored correctly. :roll:

But I was hoping I could date the boat

Thanks

Roy