My New Thompson - but what is it?

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

My New Thompson - but what is it?

Post by thegammas »

I recently bought this 1962 Thompson from upstate New York. I'd like to take advantage your expertise to verify the model and year I have.

Here are the data points you ask for on the Web:

Length: Approx 209 inches, or 17 feet
Beam (widest at about midship): approx 80 inches, or about 6.6 feet
Hull number: 23107

Pictures can be found at: http://home.comcast.net/~gammasjunk/wsb/index.html
You MUST use the userid/password wsb/MercsRule - I didnt want to publish my e-mail to the world. But all you classic boat owners are welcome!

I found the hull number on a small brass plate attached inside the transom on the Port side. It was mounted vertically. The boat has been refinished, and it looks like the plate is in it's original location based on the finish over the plate. The plate reads Thompson Brothers Boat Co., Cortland NY. I couldn't find any other numbers or plates.

I bought the boat from the original owner who says he bought it directly from the Cortland Factory in 1962. The Boat, Mercury, and the Trailer are the original combination. I saw for sale advertisements for the boat that called it both a Sea Lancer and an Offshore Fisherman. Not sure which it is. I bought the boat through a broker, and so never had the chance to ask the owner directly.

I recently spoke with the gentleman whom in 2005 restored it. Three main deviations from original were that he painted the inside Tan (was originally stained/varnished), replaced the bow decking material with all white (vs. a white with black stripes), and tacked in that swivel chair.

If by chance anyone has any pictures of another original boat with the same or similair interior that shows the drivers seat, I'd be thrilled. I plan to replace the swivel chair with a more authentic looking wood seat.

Sorry for the verbose post, and thanks in advnace for your help!
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
a j r

Post by a j r »

Welcome to the Dockside!

It is NOT a boat made by "Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co.", so go and check that little metal tag again and verify what it says, exactly and completly.

From your pictures, it is a boat made by "Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc." The shape of the windshield frame, the top portion of the transom being raked back, the shearstrake, the steering wheel logo, and the flipping passenger seat all point to a Thompson of NY boat.

The raked transom first appeared on the 1962 Thompson of NY models. The 17 footer is the Sea Lancer. The vinyl covered deck model was the Sea Lancer Deluxe. The Standard Sea Lancer had a varnished wooden deck. The Custom Sea Lancer had the metal dodger rails (the rails on the covering boards), the flip seats, and a rear seat. In 1962 her actual length at the centerline is 17'-2" and beam of 78 inches.

Andreas
john

Post by john »

What is the difference between the two companies?

Are they related in some way?
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

You are correct! Of course....

Post by thegammas »

Thank You Andreas!! I double checked and indeed the tag says "Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc" and "Cortland NY". I read your reply correctly, I have the Custom Sea Lancer.

Any idea where I could find a brochure of the interior? I'd really like to replace that horrid drivers seat.
Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware
a j r

Post by a j r »

Brochures of the various Thompson firms are available for sale on a CD-ROM from Dan Miller at www.dragonflycanoe.com and www.wcha.org

If I read that brohcure correctly, there should have been two of those flip seats in that boat.

Andreas
thegammas

thanks

Post by thegammas »

Thanks! I'll check that site out
Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware
a j r

Post by a j r »

John and others,

There were numerous builders of wooden lasptrake boats in the 1960s that were spin-offs, so to speak, of the original Thompson Boat.

Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. of Peshtigo, WI was established in 1904. In 1925 their branch factory got production going at Cortland, NY. In 1953 Thompson family members started Cruisers, Inc. at Oconto, WI.

Effective 01 January 1959 these three boat building locations, all owned and operated by Thompson family members, were split into three distinct entities with unique owners and they started to compete against each other. The Peshtigo, WI plant contiuned to be Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. The Cortland operation became Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc. The Ocotno, WI plant continued to be Cruisers, Inc.

After 01 January 1959 the Cortland operation began to slowly change its image, logo, and boat models to distinguish itself from Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. In January 1962 Thompson of nY was purchased by Chris-Craft Boats and became a wholly owned subsidiary.

Grady White Boats emerged out of Cruisers, Inc. and Thompson of Peshtigo in 1959-60. T & T Boats, Inc. was established in 1960. Yar-Craft spun out of Thompson in 1969.

A history lesson in a nutshell!

Andreas