Need info/pics of '64 14'-3" Cruisers Inc. Mariner

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Caddy Kid

Need info/pics of '64 14'-3" Cruisers Inc. Mariner

Post by Caddy Kid »

I recently picked up a 1964 Cruisers Inc. Mariner model outboard boat. No motor or trailer, but the boat was free and slated to be a planter, so I couldnt say no. Removed the beer bottles and pressure washed it at a local car wash to get the dirt and grime off/out.

Came with no interior, just some floor planks that were covered with what was left of red vinyl. Boat sat outside for 8 years on the ground as a "sign" for an upholstery shop that also did boat tops. Poked around with an awl and havent found any soft wood (good thing I live in the high desert area of Oregon, so not much rain). Here are a couple pictures:

Right now I'm trying to fix the sag on the starboard side and get the floor rebuilt. I'm looking for pictures of what the boat looked like when new. If anyone has any, let me know. It came with a couple of bent boards that were also covered in red vinyl and appear to have been for interior panels, but the only pictures I have seen have the sides covered up with a canvas looking thing. About all I have to go off of at the moment is the picture on the cover of the "care and maintenance" manual that came with the boat. It looks like it shows solid covered side panels, a split cushioned bench seat in the front and a cushioned bench in the back. Thanks.
-Brian
Caddy Kid

Post by Caddy Kid »

Also, did all Cruisers windshields tip out, or just on some models? The one on the boat now doesnt have any hardware as far as hinges or sliders, etc, but it has been screwed down at some point from the front. Certainly not a factory job. Just wondering if I should be looking for hardware for it. Thanks.
-Brian
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Check out my site at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/classicoutboards/ There are lots of shots of cruisers and some catalog pages.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

very cool - good luck wth her - you'll get good info and advice on this site
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
Caddy Kid

Post by Caddy Kid »

Yes, it will be quite a process. Not alot to go on, but it seems to have good "bones", so I will procede. I just wish it didnt have a sag in it. That will consume more time than I had planned. Had hoped to have it on the water by late spring, but we'll see. Thanks!
-Brian
Ron P

Fix up that old Cruisers Inc.

Post by Ron P »

Hello and Welcome!

You need to get your hands on the CD that has the old catalogs for these boats. It's available at www.dragonflycanoe.com

Here is a scan from a catalog.

Not to often do we see the little mariner 100 model. One on ebay about 2 years back. and one this past summer. Cute little boat that also had plastic windshields installed. Replace any rotted wood with new of coarce!
Get the hull right before you get into cosmetics! Post pics and ask questions. We are glad to help!
Ron Pistohl
64 Cruisers Inc. 17 ft,W/64Johnson 90hp

65 Thompson 15 ft.W/65 Evinrude 40hp
Appleton,Wisconsin
Photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/waddlep/show/
Caddy Kid

Post by Caddy Kid »

I think I have a workable process figured out for straightning it out. That will begin next week after we move the shop around for another delivery.

Right now I'm getting everything figured out as far as interior appointments because after its straight, I need to get the interior in as soon as possible so the boat doesnt start to sag again.

I like the idea of the CD-ROM, but it doesnt look like it covers the year of Cruisers that I need.

What is the length of the boat in the picture you posted? Looks like the one I have, but possibly a bit shorter?
-Brian
Ron P

mariner 100

Post by Ron P »

HeyCaddykid.

Doing some checking on some catalogs here...
Find that Cruisers made this hull from the 1961 to 64 Maybe 65 but don't have that catalog. The lenght is 14' 2" at the center. Transom width is 61". Can take up to a 50hp engine, with a 20" shaft lenght.

Does your windshield still have the hinges at the top, So they can tip out?
They should. Could have been removed thou. Interesting to me if the boat was built with solid wood windshield.

The catalogs show the plexiglass windsheild for 1964 and 1963. The picture is from 63 catalog.

Alot of these boat came out of the factory looking different than what was in a brochure.

You say that the boat is a 64. Check to see if the inside of the transom is stamped with a hull Id no. My Cruisers Inc. has number stamped in transom and a metal plate tag with numbers installed under gunnel. Let us know what you find.

The 1964 brochure shows deck vinyl colors to be tan,green,blue and turquiose. NO Red.... Well thats enough for now. Ron P.
Ron Pistohl
64 Cruisers Inc. 17 ft,W/64Johnson 90hp

65 Thompson 15 ft.W/65 Evinrude 40hp
Appleton,Wisconsin
Photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/waddlep/show/
Caddy Kid

Post by Caddy Kid »

The boat hull number is 421133, which according to Andreas makes it a 1964. I emailed Cruisers and they were able to find out that it was made in late 1964 and shipped to the dealer in May of 1965. Which is why the title calls it a 1965 I imagine. Model # 1421.

It measures out to 14'-3" centerline, but titled as 14'-1". Andreas said that the wood windshield was an option. As far as the windshield, there are no hinges or hardware to make it tip out. Not even any screw holes where it used to be but was removed. However the frames that would normaly tip out have been very crudly attached to the main frame with screws that run through the face of the windshield glass frames into the frame itself. Not factory, but not sure how else it was attached.

I know that the decks have been re-covered, because they removed all the running lights and just went over the holes with vinyl. Holes are still visable from the inside, and even has wiring going through the bow light hole. Red is a nice color, matches the bottom paint and looks good with the white. Guess my second choice would be tan. At least it would be cooler in the sun!
-Brian