1961 Thompson? Nice Buy~!

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

greenhornet97

1961 Thompson? Nice Buy~!

Post by greenhornet97 »

I recently purchased a 1961 Thompson 17' boat with a 1962, 75hp Evinrude with Selectric shift on a Gator trailor. Unbelievably all the original manuals are there. From the pictures I have seen on the net and your site, my boat would fit into one of those "i can't believe it, you stole it" categories & after looking it over completely, inspecting underneath, even under the main deck, its almost in pristine condition. I have sanded the boat down to bare wood with the exception of the bottom paint / boot line. I read about the CPES and am wondering where I can purchase this? I am also into any info you can provide on the paint scheme. The side above the lapstake (mohagany) had aproximately the first 6 feet painted white to about where the windshield is. I want to varnish this entire strip so there is mahogany the entire length. Would this be OK or should I keep it white? I also am looking for where to get paints. I need the white and I found the "Copper" colored bottom paint is a special paint that reacts once its in the water to prevent sea life growth, but would love to get it in "Red" as some boats I have I have seen on line with it would make this baby "POP". If red is available, can I paint over the copper?

I do know it is a 1961 Thompson made out of Cortland New York. I left the numbers in my other garage but think the numbers are 13962? Same numbers are burnished in the wood underneath the brass plate on transom. I can confirm these later but believe it is one of the last boats made before Thomson of Cortland new York was sold to the Chriscraft factory. It also has The Mahogany bench seat with a swing through door, with attached storage compartments on the back of the seats. I am not sure if these were add on or came factory but there are vinyl snap on seat cushions, three sections but cover the whole bench seat and backrest and "not a tear in them". There are also emblems on the storage compartments which look kinda like maybe a "Mariners" symbol to me. All the manuals and info I have lead me to believe everything was origanaly purchased as a package. The 17' gator trailor looks as though it was made for the Thompson. I am trying to trace the numbers to see if it was sold in conjuction any Thompson's, so any info you can give would leave me endebted to you.
:?: :roll: :idea:
a j r

Post by a j r »

Nice find, but if she's in pristine condition, why are you stripping the paint?

Have you removed the floor boards and checked out the inner keel and ribs where they meet the inner keel?

Sounds as if you have a boat made by "Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc." at Cortland, NY. Chris-Craft purcahsed this firm in January 1962.

Keep the boat original - do NOT change the shearstrake (upper most plank) paint and stain scheme. Leave it alone. It is supposed to stained and varnished from the transom forward to about the windshield and then painted forward of the windshield. There also should be a stylized "T" near the bow on both sides of the boat.

Stick with the copper bronze bottom paint. George Kirby, Jr. Paint Company of New Bedford, Mass is a great source for paint.

The boat builder did not put the trailer and motor package together. A dealer typically did this.

You mentioned manauls, are there any manuals from Thompson?

CPES can be purchased directly from Smith and Company - the maker of the stuff; www.classicboatconnection.com phone 507-344-8024, www.rotdoctor.com; and many other places.

Andreas
greenhornet97

Post by greenhornet97 »

Sorry about the use of "pristine". I can say the boat is in great shape~! The reason we are sanding & repainting is the paint and varnish only on the exterior had begun to flake. I want it to look good and I will post some photo's soon. I heard of a "Classic Wooden Boat Show" on Lake Winnepesake, New Hamphire, thats around July or August but have not been able to confiorm anything yet. If everything goes as planned this is where she will make her debut~! Thanks for the input as I will head your advise. I am excited each day as we find more good than bad about the boat~!
a j r

Post by a j r »

Many of the antique & classic boat shows are sponsored by various chapters of the Antique & Classic Boat Society: www.acbs.org

www.acbs-bslol.com has a listing of many of the shows (not all of 'em).

Andreas