What is it?

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Busted Knuckles

What is it?

Post by Busted Knuckles »

I just purchased a Thompson Thom Boy which from bow to stern measures 16ft 9 inches. The interior is blue and white with back to back seats at the helm and passenger , as well as to smaller single seats to either side of the transome area. The bow area is covered in the blue and whit basketweave material, as are the topsides all the way to the transome. Here is the listing from the boat trader. http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/5/83105125.htm . It appears to be all original even has the Air Guide Barometer on the dash as well as AG speedo, The bimini is in great shape. the only problem areas appear to be the fordeck which has a small spot of rot as well as The windshield needing to be reassembled as the glass had been broken. Here is where the what is it comes in, The dealer has a title for the boat that lists it as a 1974 Shearwater? serial number 43232. Looking at the trailer , it has that serial number but says Shearwater no where on any of the tags on the trailer ? The trailer is a 1974, looks to me like they issued FL numbers for the trailer? ARGH what to do? The last place of boat registration was West Virginia as stated on the title, The WV numbers are also on the hull and old? There are Thompson Bros. tags that lists the serial number as 28423. What does that tell us the boat is ? I paid the dealer registration fees for Florida , he had a Florida title issued in his name . He bought it at an estate sale in north central Florida.... Help
What you have is an affinity for the useless!Image
a j r

Post by a j r »

Welcome aboard!

I've never seen a Thompson Bros. Boat with those blue colours. It looks original however.

To verify the year we must have the hull ID. This is stamped into the wood of the transom, inside the boat. Usually on the starboard side and sometimes stamped upside down. It sometimes starts with a letter and is followed by a series of numbers and may end in another letter. It is different from the serial number.

Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. ceased making wooden boats in 1969, so your boat cannot be from 1974. The styling and construction reflects a late 1960s boat.

The serial number also points towards late 1960s (comparing it to other known serial numbers). But the hull ID is what is required to date the boat.

Have the seller issue a corrected title or bill of sale with the proper information.

Andreas
Busted Knuckles

In the transome area behind the seats I did find the serial number again 28423 written in black marker on the board in front of the engine . However I cannot see anyother numbers anywhere back oon the transome on the inside or behind the seats/ fuel tank area? There is written on the windshield R5005196 is that anything usefull?
Busted Knuckles

As the prop turns! According to the state of West Virginia the boat is a 1968 and had no HIN #? On July 3 1968 WV issued the hull number as WV3072C. The trailer is a 1974 SHL (abbrv.) serial # as 43232. It appears that Florida has isssued the trailer FL#s! that will make for a hell of a ride! You stated that you had not seen the color combo in the past . What would it have been? Do you have any more info on these boats?
a j r

Post by a j r »

Check again for the hull ID. It is easily over looked; maybe full of varnish or covered by some other component. It will be stamped into the wood. Look both under and above the splash/motor well.

Don't know what the "R5005196" is all about. It is too long for a Thompson hull ID.

The 1968 brochure shows a Thomboy with a putrid dark olive green colour for the shearsrake, interior, and vinyl decks. Thompson would often times offer several colour combinations and not picture all of them in the brochure. They also would custom make boats with custom colours or upholstry, etc...

Brochures frm Thompson and spin-offs firms are avaiable for sale on a CD-ROM from Dan Miller at www.dragonflycanoe.com

Andreas
Busted Knuckles

Andreas ,could you scan and send me a pic of the 68 brochure.Id like to compare the 2 . I have a 67 Merc 1100 110 HP is it gonna be to big for the boat? I can always change the prop to not get crazy on the top end?
a j r

Post by a j r »

I had the exact same Merc on my 1957 Thompson (Peshtigo) Sea Lancer. 16'-7" centrline length. It was on the boat from 1967 until 2005 and NO problems.

Andreas