1960 Evinrude Lark II Crash test

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

john

1960 Evinrude Lark II Crash test

Post by john »

Hit a very solid stump or log today with with Evinrude 40 Lark on my 1960 cruisers Inc, 16' 202 at about 22 mph.

Engine flew up and I thought it was going to break off and cartwheel into the boat. Turns out I sheared a pin, prop looks very good, almost unharmed, lost black plastic cap off prop. Engine starts and runs fine.

Only problem is I'm stuck in reverse. Seems I broke or separated shift rod at coupler. easy fix, I hope, but I have to put it back on trailer to pull gear case.

Boat did just fine, no structural damage I can tell. Checked hull very carefully on boat lift, just no shift.

Boat was running great up to then, 26 mph with 2 200 pounders.

Neighbor heard us hit and looked outside, saw us and towed us in.
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

John,
Glad to hear you are OK. Hope you were wearing your PFD.

I sunk one years ago and thing happen pretty fast when disaster strikes.

Dan
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
john

Post by john »

No pfd, did wish for a minute or so I had a kill switch. Was very pleased to see the small amount of damage to engine.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

ouch!

Andreas
john

Post by john »

Total damage is very slight, removed gearcase and found the lower shift was pulled out of shift rod conector, no damge. Will go back together without any new parts other than, shear pin and plastic prop nut.

Will replace water pump and housing, been 8 years, about time for new one!

Did tow Cruiser's from my boat house to the ramp to put on trailer. Towed it with my 16 al jon boat and 2006 Merc 25hp 4 stroke, just for fun ran at wot, towed the Cruiser's better than 20 mph!!!!!!!! This is with the highest pitch prop available for the 25 Merc, since I run it on a al 16' jon boat.

No doubt in my mind the 25 by it self would push the Cruise's better than 25 mph and maybe get 15 mpg!!!!!!!!
john

Post by john »

Water has droped about 7 inches or so in the last 2 weeks, and I was able to see stump today, lake been flooded 55 years and stump is still solid. It is in about 3 feet of water at present, right at surface. It is now marked with a white fender. It the water drops 3 more feet, which is unlikely we will cut it off at the bottom, till then we will mark it with a buoy!