62 Mercury

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Portside

62 Mercury

Post by Portside »

Rather new to this outboard thing. Have a '62 Merc 700 which I have not started yet but was assured it ran well after being tuned last year.
1. Can I start this on land using the flushing "muffs"?
2. What are the 2 shock absorbers for?
3. It has electric start but does it have a generator? ( can't find one)
4. Any suggestions for a good reference or repair book on this machine?

Thanks
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Your probably better off asking outboard motors questions at the discusion forum at www.aoimci.org - the Antique Outboard Motor Club.

Seloc publishes repair guides. Ken Cook company in Milwaukee also publishes lots of outboard motor manuals. You can find copies or original brochures and manuals often on eBay auctions.

www.fiberglassics.com has some Mercury outboard brochures etc... archived in the Glassic Library area.

Andreas
Bill Dunn

Post by Bill Dunn »

Welcome Portside,
This is a great site, and as you can already tell if someone doesn't know the answer they usually know a site where you can find it. I agree with Andreas on the www.fiberglassics.com site.
I can help with some of your questions since I own a '63 Merc 85 hp.
Yes you can run the motor using the muffs. Just make sure they are covering the water intake holes on the lower unit and the water is on before you try to start it. A dry water pump will burn up an impeller real quick.
The 2 shocks on the sides of the motor keep the motor from dropping down too fast when you are lowering it and damaging the boat and/or motor.
The generator is part of the flywheel assembly. It is a stator under the flywheel, which is a permanent magnet,so it creates an electric charge as it spins over the stator. They usually put out about 2 or 3 Amps which is enough to recharge the battery from starting, ect. If the battery is too low you need to use a charger to get where it needs to be. The system works for maintaining a charge, but not very good for recharging.
www.fiberglassics.com has a great section on just Mercs and a section for manuals and other materials on boats and motors.
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer
Portside

Post by Portside »

THanks Andreas and Al for the information. I am on the Antique Outboard site and will go after the fierglassics site too. You have answered much, some of which I guessed but thanks for the expert input. I'll get it yet.
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

Has anyone replaced the shocks on their outboard... just wondering if you can get the parts, and how hard it is to do.

I have thought of doing that on my 1960 75 Johnson.
Bill Dunn

Post by Bill Dunn »

I would think you would be able to find them on line someplace. As for price, it is hard to say how much they will cost not knowing how hard they are to find.
If they are anything like a merc they are simple to replace. Just one stainless bolt on the top and one on the bottom, both easy to get to. Good luck!
Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer