getting some old engines

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Thomas Mackin

getting some old engines

Post by Thomas Mackin »

I can pick up from a friend 2 1956 30 hp. Johnsons, a 57 35hp, and a Evinrude 1955 25. It even has controls and electric start. I can get them VERY cheap. Any thoughts on parts,restoration problems, etc. The 25hp. is in great shape cosmetically. Would be nice on a deluxe TNT!
Big Mac
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

All are pretty basic motors. Hard to kill 'em.

I personally think the 1957 Johnson 35 HP was one of the most aestetically pleasing outboard motors ever built.

Parts are readily available at many sources. Lots of the electical components can be obtained thru any NAPA store.

Correct paints and decals can be obatined thru Peter McDowell in Canada.

Andreas
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Andreas - would you have contact info for peter M in Canada? I am going to need decals for my '63 100hp Merc
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

My contact info is peter@nymarine.ca
If you google 1957 Johnson Golden Javelin it will bring up link to his website as well as others that supply restoration parts for older outboards.
I agree with Andreas in regards to the the 1957 35 Johnsons (as we are both owners of twins). Seems like the biggest bugaboos in regards to the older outboards is the condition of the coils.
Seal and impellor kits are still available thru your local auto supply store.
Have fun and post some pics.
Karl.
JALL

Old Outboards

Post by JALL »

Try ( nymarine.ca ). If you want info on the vintage outboards go to the AOMCI web site. They have all the answers.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The website mentioned above has everything (well almost) you need to restore a vintage outboard.

Andreas