'58 Evinrude Fat Fifty

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

W Guy

'58 Evinrude Fat Fifty

Post by W Guy »

I was just wondering if there were any members here who have a lot of experience with this motor. Mine seems to run very well but I'm a sponge for more information about it. Tricks, service guidelines, improvements, lore, etc would be most appreciated.
The only thing I DON'T want to hear is what gas hogs they were. The internet is full of those comments and frankly, they don't offer anything positive!!

Thanks
Verne
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Verne, I suggest that you post your question at aomci.org, the Antique Outboard club site. Post on the "ask a member" board. Introduce yourself, tell a little about your boat and motor and ask for history, service tips, recommendations etc. The guys there are very knowledgable and always willing to help keep a classic motor on the water.
Joe B
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

Thanks Joe. I've had some good conversations with FR about the motor and some suggestions on another site about using a 60hp reed plate and intake manifold. Mine seems to be an odd duck because it doesn't have the fuel dump tube into the exhaust. It's very conservative on fuel and doesn't load up during an extented idle.
Verne :)
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

I'm no expert on these motors , However I am quite familiar with the 1961 75 HP version... run one on my Sea Lancer. The 1960 and later motors benifitted primairly from a new streamlined lower unit and more efficient carb intake system. I don't know about any 60 HP reed system for the early versions of the V4 motor, these went directely from 50 hp to 75 in 1960 I believe. Again, I suggest that you post your questions at aomci.org

Joe B