Fish On!!

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Fish On!!

Post by thegammas »

Mounted up the Merc.....

Don't panic! That piece of plywood will be replaced with a nice piece of Mahogany. Note also that the lower bolts will be replaced with longer ones and mounting the nuts with self locking nuts

The PTT is much longer in length than the original swivel mount,and so extends over that lower transom board that is proud of the rest of the transom, so had to make a spacer board. I decided to use stainless spacers to set the 3/4 spacer board back the remaining 1/8 inch so as to get the spacer board off the transom.

The Cavitation plate isn't as close to aligning to the bottom of the boat as I had hoped. Iit appears to be about a 1/2 inch above, but thinking it should be fine (?). Interestingly, the top to mounting bolts lined up perfectly with some previous drill outs, that had been plugged with dowels. I was able to just bang one dowel out, the other I had to drill.

To get the bolt holes in just the exact right location and to ensure the motor would be centered and hooked over the top of the transom (as in sitting on it) I made a pattern off the PTT. Worked just right.

Currently re-wiring the boat to include the PTT switches and an NOS vintage tach.... For the PTT up/down I am using individual push buttons for a unique look.

Hoping to get a shakedown run in soon....

Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
Dan Salins

Post by Dan Salins »

Wow! Peter, your motor and PTT are beautiful! Look like they're brand new! I have a period correct PTT which looks nowhere nearly as nice as yours for my '62 but haven't gotten around to installing it. Where did you mount the motor and pump unit? Oh... and how did your conversion to electronic ignition go?
Dan
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Thank you! Fresh paint will do alot for her looks.....

That PTT unit is from the mid/late eighties . So the pump and a single ram are all integrated in what you see hanging off the back. Just one cable to run. Lifts the motor no problem.

As for the Pertronix Ignitor II conversion, I set that aside. Wanted to get the rig up and running. I've got the distributor shaft modified with the Mag ring mounted. Need to modify the rotor next, make up a set of shielded wires, and then I'll have a running platform to test on. I'll of course be posting on that when I pick it back up.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
Dan Salins

Post by Dan Salins »

Having the pump and ram all in one unit is great. Not sure what year mine is from... I think the mid-sixties, so there's a separate motor and pump unit with four hydraulic hoses (which all need to be replaced) which run to the two rams replacing the cylinders on the motor mount. I guess I'll have to mount the motor and pump under the motor well, with the hoses going thru. They come with a rubber bushing that (hopefully) is water-tight. Keep us all up-to-date on your progress!
Dan