New Trailers

Suggestions and tips to keep your boat safe when not in the water.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Bill Dunn

New Trailers

Post by Bill Dunn »

Does anyone know of a brand of new trailers that will work on our wood boats? I want one rated for around 2000# and has rollers for the keel and bunks in the back for the transom. The trailer I have is over 50 years old and was rated for 1100# back then. That is about what my Sea Lancer and 115 hp Merc weigh without factoring in the 2 12 gallon gas tanks, battery and all of the other gear in the boat. I would rather not take out a second mortgage on the house for a custom one ( like the boss would allow that!).
Thanks,
Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer
richnle

Re: New Trailers

Post by richnle »

Hi Bill,

I bought a new Venture trailer for my 17ft Grady and I love it. 2 main bunks extending beyond the transom plus 2 guide bunks further forward angled together to center the keel and provide support on either side of the keel very close to the keel. There is only one keel roller, located in front of where the guide bunks end which supports very close to the start of the stem. I set the main bunk locations to be positioned under the stringers, and cut down the brackets that hold up the bunks to lower the boat for floating off the trailer without needing to back in quite as deep. The boat is very well supported, floats on and off easily and centers perfectly on the first shot every time.
Rich Rosselli
1961 Grady-White Hatteras 17 ft
1962 Penn Yan Baltic 16 ft
1963 Grady-White Pacific 19 ft
Bill Dunn

Post by Bill Dunn »

Thanks for the info. I will look into any dealers in my area.
Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

Bill, i bought a Yacht Club trailer for my sea coaster. It is galvenized, center rollers, and long bunks. 3,000 miles since April. Check out boat dealers that are selling jon boats...