trailer bunks

Suggestions and tips to keep your boat safe when not in the water.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

calvin

trailer bunks

Post by calvin »

I have my grady on a bunk trailer...only 2 bunks under each sister keel..is this enough?

thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

most important is that the bunks extend past the transom to support it and the weight of the motor, This helps to prevent hooking (crushing in) the bottom. As for more support under the keel - I have keel rollers all the way front to back, but the mojority of the weight is carried by the bunks under the sisters
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

Hi Calvin.. rather than ask is it enough, you may want to ask the question is it the best..... In my opinion, the more support points that you can add to the bottom, the better.. The keel rollers should take very little of the weight, and should be able to be spun by hand.

You can see some good pictures in the other posts in this forum. I have several of my trailer in the new-old trailer post, but there are others there as well.

John.
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Every wooden boat I have owned has set on the keel rollers with support from bunks. I have not observed any problems if bunks are set correctly. The weight should be spread among the two.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
Portside

Post by Portside »

I have some of the same questions along this line, some of this discussion helped already, however, here is my situation.
I have a '62 T&T Breakers on a new trailer. After some input from me, the dealer set it up like shown. I think it needs more rollers forward. I would also like to drop the stern down some. Any suggestions?
Image[/URL]Image
By bigbreaker at 2011-07-25ImageImage
URL=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/bigbreaker]bigbreaker
at 2011-07-25[/URL]