Is this trailer OK for a wooden boat?

Suggestions and tips to keep your boat safe when not in the water.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

richnle

Is this trailer OK for a wooden boat?

Post by richnle »

I am looking at a lightly used trailer for my 1962 Penn Yan 16 ft outboard. It has 4 bunks. The two inner bunks are 8 ft by 6". The outer bunks are slightly shorter. There are no keel rollers so the boat is unsupported in front of the end of the inner bunks. The length of the trailer fits, and the trailer is wider and much more stable than the original trailer. Should I be concerned about the lack of forward keel rollers? Other than that, it looks to me like the boat will be much better supported with this trailer than the original. Thanks for any advice!

Rich
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Just add a keel roller or two. trailerdepot.com has all kinds. If there are Fleet Farm stores in your area, they too have all sorts of boat trailer stuff.

Andreas
richnle

Post by richnle »

Thanks Andreas. I do not see a good way to mount a keel roller on this particular trailer. There is no central member anywhere under the keel and the only cross members are back near the bunks. Do you think with 8 ft bunks that forward keel support is important?

Rich
monty27

Wooden boat trailer

Post by monty27 »

Your wooden boat should have support under the keel as much as posiable even if you have to add a beam to hold the rollers.
I God we trust, Wooden boats forever, Monty