Replacing Trailer Rollers with Bunks

Suggestions and tips to keep your boat safe when not in the water.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Ken Butti

Replacing Trailer Rollers with Bunks

Post by Ken Butti »

My late-model Sea Lancer came with a beat-up, old trailer that has rollers. I want to try and rebuild the trailer before I give up and replace it entirely. First step is to replace the rollers with bunks. I currently have one set of rollers aft, supporting the last 48" or so of the boat (including the transom). I have seen some Thompson owners have two or more sets of bunks aft and even forward. (see 6/14/08 "trailer bunks" and 4/26/09 "Extending trailer bunks" postings). I get the message that "more is better" when it comes to supporting a wood boat. What I would like to hear is that a single set of bunks under both sides of the sister keel has worked fine for some of you out there. Thanks.
Ken Butti
1969 Peshtigo-Built Sea Lancer
Lacey, WA
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Most trailers had rollers along the centerline and woodens bunk parallel to the keel outward of the keel. That's all I have on all of my trailers that haul wooden boats. No problems what so ever. The longer the bunk from the transom forward the better.

Andreas
Ken Butti

Post by Ken Butti »

Thanks, Andreas. I have center rollers (though one mount and roller fell off on the way home from picking up the boat). The current side roller assemblies are about 4' long, but I plan to extend the bunks at least another foot.

Question: What is the best distance from the keel to locate the bunks if you're just running one on each side? Up to the first lapstrake (but not against) on the sister keel, or somewhere in between?
Ken Butti
1969 Peshtigo-Built Sea Lancer
Lacey, WA
Bill Dunn

Post by Bill Dunn »

Mine are in the area of the sister keelsons and are about 5 ft long. Make sure that they go past the transom. If they are a little wider like that it will make the boat more stable on the trailer and spread out the stress points on the hull.
I put a second set of bunks right next to the center rollers to help keep the the keel on the rollers as I crank it on the trailer. They are about 8 ft. long and help a lot.

Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer