bunks with rollers?

Suggestions and tips to keep your boat safe when not in the water.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

brian62

bunks with rollers?

Post by brian62 »

I have been given a Cox trailer that is about early 1990's if i want it.It has about 8 rollers in the center of the bunks stern to mid ship.Is this type of trailer ok for a 1960 sea lancer(Cortland). The bunks are adjustable up or down and angle adjustable.thankyou
richnle

Post by richnle »

I restored a Penn Yan that was stored on a roller bunk trailer, and there definitely was a bit of waviness in the bottom planks from the rollers. It was not bad enough to affect the boat handling, but I decided to replace the roller bunks with flat bunks and I feel much better seeing the boat sitting there.
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

My Thompson has sat on a home built trailer since at least 1959.
Rollers up the center to aid in loading as well as bunks outboard of the rollers on either side to stabalize and support the hull.
No Bottom distortion what so ever.
You want to make sure the keel is supported its entire length. And also you want your bunks to extend out behind past the transom of the boat and as far forward as you can.
The point of the bunks sticking out is to have the weight from the outboard and the transom resting on them.
Many old trailers either had short bunks or a set of rollers at the rear of the trailer that were actually a few inches a head of the transom. When the boat was fully loaded on the trailer the weight from the motor and transom would then be bearing down on the hullplanking and ribs. This can cause considerable distortion to the bottom.
Hope this helps.
Karl.
brian62

Post by brian62 »

Thanks folks,.the boat thats on it now is a fiberglass boat and i thought maybe a wooden boat is better off resting completely flat.Looks like i can change out the bunks easy enough.It has 4 center rollers for the keel to rest on.Free trailer allows me to spend money on the boat itself.Thanks again folks...