Changing Trailer tire size

Suggestions and tips to keep your boat safe when not in the water.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

John Hart

Changing Trailer tire size

Post by John Hart »

I have a Tee Née trailer holding a 1960 Seacoaster... The motor is about 250 lbs so I suspect that the whole works is about 1100 lbs.

The tires I have been using are 5.70 - 8 , 4 hole rim... Load Range C (910lbs/tire) The hubs are 1" with 1 1/4 seal. I am considering whether I can bump the tire and rim up to a larger size.

While the wheels/tires look ok off the trailer, they look awful puny when I take it on the road... I have gone on three or four 1000 mi round trips with it ok, and have had only one tire problem. One tire started flying apart sending rubber chunks all over the road and my white hull. It looked like the tire was almost a retread that came apart. I think it was a Carlisle tire. My other tires are Road-Star and seem more reliable.

I wish I could add another axle for extra peace of mind but I don't think that is an option. Also, I don't want to buy a new trailer, because I like the vintage flavor of my old Tee Née. It is repainted, rewired, and the only modernization is LED lights.

As long as my fenders will accept them, does anyone know whether it is safe to bump up to a larger wheel/rim?

And what size would be the next logical, stronger, more reliable size that will still fit my hubs/axles?

Another consideration, is that my wheels appear to have a slight negative camber, like a sports car's rear wheels. I have never figured out whether the stub axles are slightly bent, or it is that way by design to track/trail better. It pulls and tracks great but sometimes I think I see more road dust /surface contact on the inner half of the tires. This is not significant and sometimes I think I am imagining it, but even if it is happening, I have two new spares and don't mind buying $120 worth of tires every few years. I don't want to pull the boat off and have someone weld on new axles.

If you have any comments , I am interested in the experience and/ or advice of others with similar trailers and concerns.

John Hart

Bill Dunn

Re: Changing Trailer tire size

Post by Bill Dunn »

To me it looks like you may have a bent axle. The tire on the starboard side looks to be kicked out. You might want to get that checked so you don't have any surprises and save on your tire wear. As for larger tires, I went from 8" rims to 13" with no problems. All you need to do is check for the same bolt pattern and make sure you have enough clearance with the fender. Your fenders look like they ride kind of close already, but you should be able to raise them for tire clearance. I had to do that on mine and it works great. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the bearings and the tires.
Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

Thanks for your comments Al !!

John
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

John,

If you change tire size you will need to also change the fenders as the originals will not have enough clearance for the larger diameter tires.
Also check the clearance between the boat hull and the existing fenders to be sure you can get a larger tire and fender installed which will not hit the hull.

Good Luck,

Phill