1960 Cruiser Seafarer Restoration

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

aj1461

1960 Cruiser Seafarer Restoration

Post by aj1461 »

I've spent some time looking at older posts but can't seem to find the specifics I'm looking for, so here goes:

I'm down to bare wood on the hull and a bit confused about the right way to seal/prime/paint, and which material combination is best.

This boat will be trailered and not sit in the water outside of weekend getaways.

My goal is not to use a bottom paint and use the same finish coat for the entire hull, which originally looks to be an off white.

I'm seeing certain priimers and paints are good above water line only.

I was on the phone with Jamestown Distributors and they're telling me I need either Pettit Protect epoxy or Interprotect Primer, which is also an epoxy.

If I can avoid that kind of use of epoxy I'd like that, but will do whatever I need for a good restoration.

Appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Andy
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Andy,

Try calling George Kirby Jr. Paint Company at New Bedford, Mass.

I do not like to use anything but oil base paints for my boats. They work fine for any boat that is not spending all it's time in the water 24/7 for the summer months.

Good Luck,

Phill
john

Post by john »

I have heard that one new wood boat builder uses Rustolium Industrial enamle on his boats including bottom. I do not know for sure? $9 a quart and 20 something a gallon!

I used Pettit Bright Sides on my 1960 Cruiser's in 1994 not a hint of a problem to date. Boat has 200 running hours on it. Just now thinking of a recoat, for nicks and scratches!

I use my Cruiser's a lot!
Michael J. Seiber

Post by Michael J. Seiber »

I restored a 1963 Cruisers INC Seafarer and used Valspar Tractor impellment paint from Tractor Supply on it. White on top, Ford blue on the bottom, trailer matches the bottom. I found it unbelievabe how tuff this paint is. Did the boat in 2008 and it still looks like the day I put it on.
Primer, you want to soak into the wood so that it sticks to the boat well. Alot of choices. I have a topic on here from a couple of years ago with pictures of it. It's a few pages back by now.
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

The only problem I could foresee from using Rustolium or some thing like it is when it comes time to repaint. You will have to use the same product or you will have bonding issues.
Back in my hot rodding days we used to paint our cars with a small roller and multiple coats of Rustolium. We would then let it cure for about a week, color sand and then rub out. Actually looked pretty nice. But when the time came for a "real" paint job you had to take it all the way down to the metal as nothing would stick to it. (I found that out the hard way). :lol:
Karl.
aj1461

Post by aj1461 »

Thanks guys, I appreciate your thoughts.

I ended up going with the Interlux Brightside one part product with an Interlux primer.

As of this afternoon I have the first coat of primer on and I'm looking forward to the next one.

The hull repair I did turned out sweet. Sistered some new ribs and replaced a section of keel and this thing is rock solid and straight as an arrow.

It had been hogged and busted from the Tee Nee trailer, which I'll also rebuild.

Awesome project, having a lot of fun. Can't wait to get her in the water!
aj1461

Post by aj1461 »

by the way, John, I keep a picture of you and your Cruiser handy as inspiration and to show friends what mine is gonna look like.
aj1461

Marine Life Caulk

Post by aj1461 »

I'm having a devil of a time with this stuff curing. I used it to reinstall the keelson on the Cruiser and it's no where near sandable after nearly two weeks.

I read on a product review that you could coat it with a latex primer in the event the cure time was slow.

Anyone every experienced this?

Frustrating because I'm ready for the last coat of paint. Want to get to flip her and get started on the other side!
aj1461

Post by aj1461 »

It's Marine Life Caulk in the subject line, kind of small
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

aj1461,

Life caulk can take a long time to fully cure. It is very dependant on temperature, coller weather will take longer then warmer temps to cure.

I tried rushing it one time and the oil base paint I used would not dry until the caulk had cured.

Don't rush it.

Good Luck,

Phill
aj1461

Post by aj1461 »

Ok, now I've got her flipped and I'm working on the topsides.

Can any of the Cruiser owners tell me where to find the rub rail insert that fits the original profile?

I'm not seeing an obvious fit via the obvious retailers.

Thanks!
aj1461

Post by aj1461 »

Finally posted project pics to Photobucket if you'd like to see them

http://s1163.photobucket.com/albums/q551/aj1461/
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

Looked at the Pictures. I must say that I think that the hull looks great. it is amazing what can be done to repair these old hulls.
I am at the point with my offshore that it is ready for primer. Just didn't do as much work to it this winter as I wanted. Did manage to go through the twin 35 Johnsons and replace all the seals,O rings, impeller,etc.
Also picked up the Javelin hoods so now they will both match.
Karl.
aj1461

Post by aj1461 »

Thanks for looking Karl. I probably have close to 200 hours into the resto at this point.

Very impressed with the Smith products for repair and fairing. That Fill-It was very easy to use and really helped fair that garboard out. The trailer did some serious keel and garboard damage.

Most of my trim has been stripped, bleached, stained, and varnished.

Right now I'm working to strip the varnish off the interior. That is seriously the hardest part yet. Can't wait to get that over with.

Been lucky to have had the time this winter to get into it. I want to have it in the water by June.
aj1461

Post by aj1461 »

Gonna repost this part so it doesn't get lost...

Can any of the Cruiser owners tell me where to find the rub rail insert that fits the original profile?

I'm not seeing an obvious fit via the obvious retailers.

Thanks!