Stock Location(s) of Fuel Tank(s)

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Ken Butti

Stock Location(s) of Fuel Tank(s)

Post by Ken Butti »

Hi, everybody. I haven't posted for a while, and for that I truly apologize. My Thompson project is taking a lot longer than expected to finish up, due to life's many interuptions.

I have a late model (registered as a "1970", but I know it has to be earlier) Sea Lancer with a Mercruiser 120 I/O. The boat was set up with lounge seats when I bought it, and I bought the same to replace them. The P/O installed Moeller Marine 9-gallon plastic fuel tanks in each of the two seat bases. I can already tell that it's going to be a challenge to refuel with the tanks under the lounge seats. The bases are actually built around the tanks, so that I can't remove the tanks unless I disassemble the seat bases.

I am getting ready to bolt down the seats, and am wondering if I should relocate the tanks, or if their present location where they always have been. Other than somewhere forward in the bow, I can't think of any other location. Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Ken Butti
1969 Peshtigo-Built Sea Lancer
Lacey, WA
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The 1966 brochure for Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. indicates under floor fuel tank, gunnel fuel tanks, and under seat fuel tanks were available for the stern drive boats. The 1968 brochure indicates an under bunk seat 16 gallon fuel tank was available for the stern drive. I am sure it was designed to be permanently installed with a filler hose and fitting at the gunnel.

Not sure if you can find an under floor tank or one that can go in the gunnel area. Or even one that will fit under the seat bunks.

I have a 12 gallon aluminum bow tank in my '57 Sea Lancer outboard. I think I got it mail order from Cabella's.

Andreas
Ken Butti

Post by Ken Butti »

As always, Andreas, you are a wealth of information. Thanks very much. You got my creative juices going on trying to solve this issue. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Ken Butti
1969 Peshtigo-Built Sea Lancer
Lacey, WA