sea coaster stringers

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Robert

sea coaster stringers

Post by Robert »

can some confirm for me how the 2 longitudinal stringers are attached on the sea coasters?
i'm thinking that they are through fastened from the bottom through the ribs and into the stringers. i wont to remove mine without tearing up the bottom.
Robert in Carrboro NC
1964 Peshtigo Sea Coaster
LancerBoy

Re: sea coaster stringers

Post by LancerBoy »

Welcome aboard.

If this is a boat made in Peshtigo, WI, you are correct. Stringers and keelson are placed into the building jig in the factory. Ribs are steam bent and one nail is quickly driven from rib into stringer and keelson to hold it in place. After all ribs are in place, a screw is driven from rib into stringer and keelson. The planking is then nailed and screwed into the ribs.

You might be able to cut the nail and screw from the inside if you can get a hacksaw blade under the stringers; between them and the plywood planking.

I do not know construction details of boats made in the Cortland, NY plant.

Good luck.

Andreas - writing from Peshtigo about 300 feet away from the old Thompson Boat factory
Robert

Post by Robert »

thanks Andreas.
i guess that i'll just have to cut them out. i was hoping to be able to save the wood to reuse some where.
Robert in Carrboro NC
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Try a hacksaw blade mounted in a pistol grip handle like in this picture. You can slide the blade in between the frame (rib) and the stringer. The blade is flexible enough that you can angle it in. Work it back and forth till you feel it hit a fastener, then saw away. Take care to keep the blade allighned so as to limit cutting into the frame. My cortland boat is fastened with copper nails and Silicon Bronze screws and bolts. They cut quite easily.

Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
Robert

Post by Robert »

thanks Peter. i will keep that in mind.
Robert in Carrboro NC