gap

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

andre lafrance

gap

Post by andre lafrance »

getting ready to prime hull on my boat. what do you recommend to fill the gap between the garboards from the end of the outer keel to the transom? I planned on using famo wood filler BUT thought I'd better check. thanks for any suggestions...
Bellbuoys

Re: gap

Post by Bellbuoys »

Andre, I am not sure I understand just what gap you are trying to fill. There is another thread running on reattaching a keel. Is that of any help.
Separately, You have been a long time contributor to this forum, and have clearly done a major restoration. Any chance I could come and see your boat before I take on my Thomboy? I am just outside Kalamazoo, and you can send a private message through this forum with your address if you wouldn't mind my visit.
Thank you.
Brad
1938 Chris Craft Deluxe Runabout
1953 Thompson Thomboy
1956 Yellow Jacket Catalina
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Use marine flexible caulk such as BoatLife. There should have been an aluminum metal trim piece screwed over the seam once the seam was caulked.

Andreas
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

He is asking .... " gap between the garboards from the end of the outer keel to the transom" . This sounds like someone has shortened the (outer) keel and it doesn't extend to the transom. The keel should extend all the way aft, with a taper to about 1/2 - 3/4 " thick at the transom. The taper helps ensure that there is fair water flow to the propeller.

Joe B
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Sorry Joe, wrong. Starting about 1960 Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. shortened the outer keel. It stopped about 24-30 inches short of the end of the boat. Pete Thompson told me that it as to reduce interference with the propeller on the outboard motors.

The garboard planks came together at the centerline of the boat's bottom and the point from the end of the outer keel to the transom was caulked and then a metal trim was screwed over it.

Andreas
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Yup, that's exactly how my Cortland boat is set up as well....
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware