Yet another keel cap thread

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Bellbuoys

Yet another keel cap thread

Post by Bellbuoys »

OK, I am finally set to reattach the keel cap to my now flipped over '53 Thomboy. I am armed with a supply of new brass screws and as many as three tubes of Boatlife caulk. I will caulk the subtle garboard seam and then, to use Andreas's term, "butter back" the keel cap itself.
What's the conventional practice here - epoxy fill and then re-drill the hull, using the existing holes in the keel cap, or fill all and re-drill new holes in keel cap as well?
In either case, I will comfortably countersink the screw holes in the cap, and then cover over with Total Boat epoxy.
Then rid myself of the unorthodox red hull, going to white, as per original.
Thanks for thoughts.
Brad
1938 Chris Craft Deluxe Runabout
1953 Thompson Thomboy
1956 Yellow Jacket Catalina
Bellbuoys

Re: Yet another keel cap thread

Post by Bellbuoys »

Well, it seems I have answered my own question here. The boat was delivered to me with the keel cap removed and, as I examine reattach meant on the upside down boat, I see he cut each of the attaching screws with a hacksaw, leaving the broken screw stump in the hull. Rather than gouge these out with a vise grip, I plan to epoxy and Boatlife caulk over these holes in the hull, and drill new points of attachment through the keel cap.
It would be my plan to fill the old holes in the keel cap with some two-part Total Boat epoxy I have left over from an earlier project.
Can anyone improve upon this approach?
Thanks.
Brad
1938 Chris Craft Deluxe Runabout
1953 Thompson Thomboy
1956 Yellow Jacket Catalina
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Re: Yet another keel cap thread

Post by thegammas »

Sounds like the best approach to me. Trying to remove the screws would, as you say, tear up the wood, and you may end up a screw hole too big for the new screws.
Looking forward to some pictures!!
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware