Treating Chrome for storage

Maintenance issues you will want to know.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

John Hart

Treating Chrome for storage

Post by John Hart »

I decided to leave my Seacoaster stored this summer. I stopped by to make sure it was OK a few days ago, and I starting wondering whether the chrome was starting to get haze on it. I might have been imagining it, as the light was not all that good.... and there might have even been a little water spotting from the last time I used it.

However, around the same day, I was in a tool store, and noticed they had a coating of grease on all of their machine table tops like saws/drill presses/etc, to prevent rusting.

It got me to thinking whether there is something that we should coat our chrome with during the off season to keep down deterioration.

I just wondered if anyone has thought of doing this, or whether it would do anything or not..... maybe a light coat of vaseline, which could be wiped off and the chrome polished in the spring.

Any thoughts?

John
Phill Blank

Re: Treating Chrome for storage

Post by Phill Blank »

John,

I would think your idea would work.

There are chrome polishes available at automotive stores that would also work. Some of these contain wax which would seal the pores in the old chrome. I think these would also work.

I have not used anything when storing my boats, but have used the chrome polish to brighten then up.

Good Luck,

Phill
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

I have been envolved with the purchase of many old cars and boats and have yet to see one stored with anything
covering the chrome. Such as wax or oil or grease. I am not sure that it would mke a difference.
As Phil said best bet is to just use a good chrome polish. I use simichrome paste polish. A little goes a long way.
Then I apply a good coat of paste wax. Let haze and then buff. Helps to keep the oxidation down.

I was pricing chrome work recently for the Johnson Javelins that I am working on.
Quotes for the chrome on the hoods(and there isn't that much) Start at $500.00 plus per hood :shock:

And you've got to find a shop that will do that type of work.
I can't even imagine how much it would cost to redo the all the chrome on a CC or Century.
Torchie.
peteburrs

Post by peteburrs »

I looked into getting all of my bright work re-chromed from a company called Nu Chrome. To have everything redone would have been $2500. Needless to say some elbow grease went a LONG way!
Pete Burrs
Lake Dubay, WI
1959 Cruiser Holiday 250