What is your favorite hull protector/dock bumper guard

Maintenance issues you will want to know.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

John Hart

What is your favorite hull protector/dock bumper guard

Post by John Hart »

After a few years working on my 1960 16ft Seacoaster, I am looking forward to finally getting some nice afternoons on the water. Perhaps a few days putt'ing on the Mississippi river and stopping at a few towns along the way.

I am wondering what protectors seem to be the best to use when tying up our wooden 16ft boats to a typical dock. I have four chrome keyhole type brackets along the inner gunwhale... I believe these are for the typical inflatable cushions that you throw over the side attached to short ropes. Do these basic white protectors work OK... Like maybe 4-5" diameter by 15-20"...

Are the inflatable or polyform ones better?

OR are short 5-6' stretch cords tied at the boat and stern sides more effective?

Any thoughts or experience would be helpful... I just can't stand the thought of having the boat banging against a dock with every wave, after all of the work involved with getting things all filled, sanded and painted..

THanks.
john

Post by john »

Best to cross tir, when ever possible.
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Depending on where you are will determine what you will need to tie off your boat. I carry at least 2 foam filled rubber or vinyl fenders about 5" dia x 15" along with 4 dock lines. Each line is at least 15' long. I think I may have one or two that are 20' long.
When ever possible I like to tie off with 4 lines and have the fenders over the side toward the dock just in case.
Depending if you are in a slip where you can use 4 lines to on each side of the boat or tied to a finger pier you where you can only use two short lines and a couple long spring lines all on one side of the boat I always have the fenders inbetween the boat and any dock or wall.
There are time I wish I had larger fenders and will most likely purchase a couple soon.
Also look at the long flat bumpers which which are 2' to 3' or longer and are 4" to 6" think these are nice when tieing up to a dock with pilings that do not have board between them for the smaller fenders to rest gainst. This type is place along the side of the boat instead of just hang down in one place on the hull.
Also a longer line is better then a short line. On can always tie off a long line short but a short line that is not long enough is always short.
Good luck and remeber one can never have enough protection between the wood hull and anything else, so carry more lines and bumpers then you think you will need.
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

Great... thanks for the tips Phil... I plan to order some items tomorrow, and will take your advice to overplan.... I can't imagine walking back to a wooden boat after a lunch stop on the river, and find a newly painted white hull sawing and banging against a rough dock with every wave and boat that goes by...

Thanks again..

John.
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

John,

I forgot to mention that my boat is a 14 footer. Check with West Marine or other boat dealer to determine the recommend dock line lengths you will need for your length boat. Then get them longer.

Good Luck!