Impeller Installation

Maintenance issues you will want to know.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

jdconnel

Impeller Installation

Post by jdconnel »

Just wondering if you can install and impeller backwards?
After re-assembling last night I think I bent the rubber legs the wrong way.
I presume that they are flexible enough to self-right themselves when the engine spins, but I just want to make sure.

Good news... after 7 years out of the water the old impeller looked pretty decent at least.
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

I would get the right publication to help you with this.... I found some good outboard maintenance books at my library, and copied a bunch of pages for my model... I also bought the manual for my motor...

As I recall, they make a big deal about getting the vanes the right way... and it is sometimes confusing while looking at the pictures, because you have to remember whether you are looking down from the top, or up from the bottom of the motor.

The publications also make some suggestions about lubing certain spots like the impeller cup, and also about gaskets and seals....

I will let Joe and others tell you whether it will rebend itself if you crank the engine... I don't think I would try it.... If you remember how you did it, you have a 50/50 chance of being right already....

As I recall, I bought a few gaskets and some OMC grease before I did mine...

John.
jdconnel

Post by jdconnel »

Well, I called the shop I bought it from and they said it would "self right" when the motor spins. I spun the shaft by hand when it was all assembled and it seemed to be moving free.

Also everything was well lubed when I went in there.

Played with the old piece and in a similar diameter hole it corrects itself when spun. So everything appears ok.
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

My guess is that all will be OK with your impeller. A brand new impeller with nice flexable blades should not have a problem getting reoriented. When installing your next impeller remember that the rotation is clockwise when viewed from the top, same as the motor. Also be careful not to pinch a blade tip under the housing as you screw it down. As for lubrication, a little vasoline makes installation go easier.
Joe
jdconnel

Post by jdconnel »

Thanks! I ended up tearing it appart anyways just to be on the safe side.
Installed by twisting counter-clockwise, which means a clockwise sping on the top down view.
NP. Went a lot easier this time.... now I have a new problem.... one heck of a gas leak.
A question for another post.... I think I need a carb kit... arg!