One or two Batteries?

Maintenance issues you will want to know.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Portside

One or two Batteries?

Post by Portside »

I am considering using two batteries on my '62 T&T 17' Breakers. The 90 Evinrude e-Tec is new this season. I was wondering if two batteries wouldn't be a little excessive. Is anyone out there using two on a boat this size? One reason I am considering this is the fact that most of the use of this boat is on Green Bay which is NOT your basic inland lake.
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Portside,

Unless you are running a lot of additional electronics, i.e. fish locators, radar, radios, GPS, electric trolling motor, etc. and are spending a lot of time out on the water at night with running or anchor lights on, I see no need for two batteries.

If you are running a lot of electronic items then two batteries would be good with a power control modual that will not allow the main starting battery to be drawned below the minimum amps and voltage to start the motor.

Good Luck,

Phill
Portside

Post by Portside »

Thanks Phil. I do agree but it is good to hear that validated by you. I need to re-wire this winter. Do you guys use a battery switch disconnect? I wonder if that's not a wise idea.