alternatives?

Maintenance issues you will want to know.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

andre lafrance

alternatives?

Post by andre lafrance »

on a recent visit to johnson lumber company in charlotte, michigan, i inquired about marine douglas fir for the bottom of my '57 sea coaster. since they didn't have any, the salesman suggested hydrotek plywood. does anyone have experience with this wood? is it a good/better substitute? inquiring minds would like to know :) also, as of this time, they didn't have a 12 foot piece of white oak which i want to use for the keel. any suggestions? thanks for any help you can provide.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

So what is "hydrotek"? It obviously is not a species of wood. Must be a brand name.

Use Meranti or Okume plywood for the planking. It is readily available.

Keep looking for white oak. 12 foot length is not unusual. Make sure it is all heartwood and NO sapwod.

Andreas
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

I know that they are not exactly next door but you could call Rare Earth Woods in Traverse City. They carry Okume and Meranti in stock. I have never talked to them in regards to Doug Fir but they may stock that as well.
They also stock a good selection of White Oak. And they are always getting new stock in. If they do not have the length that you need I would think that they would be able to get it for you.
Johnson Lumber is a great source for Mahogany as a good many Chris Craft restorers from my area make the trip there to buy their stock.
Hope that this helps.
Karl.
59Thompson

Post by 59Thompson »

Homestead Hardwoods in Vickery, Ohio (south of Sandusky where those other boats were made) lists a good variety. They are at http://www.marine-plywood.us/ I will be trying them out this winter as I want to make a drop in floor for my 59 Peshtigo SeaCoaster 473. Regards, John
andre lafrance

alternatives?

Post by andre lafrance »

thanks all. to andreas: you are correct. hydrotek is meranti. being a novice it is great to have a source such as this site.