Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

News for Dockside Views

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, admin, Moderators

Gunderman

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Gunderman »

:? Just getting started in the boat world. Came across what I think is a late 50's -early 60's Thompson. The boat measure 17' the width is 77". Don't know anything about it, no identifying plates or markings other than "TJ Boats" on the steering wheel. Will send pics to anyone that can help. The one glaringly obvious faule is a missing inner keel. Am I biting off more than I can chew? Any help will be appreciated.
Bottoms Up,
db
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Gunderman,

Go to "What Do I Have" on the main page of this site and get as much of the requested info as possible, the more info and pictures the better, and email to Miles or Andreas Rude and they should be able to help you identify the boat. TJ Boats sound like something other then a Thompson.

As to if you are bitting off more then you can handle I have no idea of what your back ground is in wood working and how handy you are and how much work you want to put into a boat rebuild or restoration, so it is hard for any of us to tell you if you are getting in over your head. That is up to you to determine.

I have seen some very rough boats that people have restored to like new condition. Working on Wood Boats is a passion and somthing one does because they enjoy a challange and have a love for the grace, look and handling of a Wooden Boat.

Good Luck!

Phill
Gunderman

Thanks

Post by Gunderman »

:) Thanks Philll for yur reply, hope to be sending pics as soon as possible. The boat is not in too terrlble shape. My wood working skills are passable but have never tried anything in the marine realm. Will be in touch when I have more time to get further information. Until then, thanks for the reply and hope to get atarted soon. The weather in Michigan is similar to Wisconsin so you hopefully can identify with current restraints. Thanks again,
DB