New Member!

News for Dockside Views

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, admin, Moderators

Tim the Toolman

New Member!

Post by Tim the Toolman »

Good day all! I'm a new member in the Seattle area and own what may be a 1962 or 1963 or ? 20' Thompson Off Shore. I can't be sure of the year yet, but Miles thinks that is the range, even though it's registered as a 1968. The Serial Number is 28298, can't find any other numbers except the Washington temporary registration number etched into the transom WAZ5745A1968. The boat measures 20' 1", so I undertand it to be an Off Shore. This is an outboard design. The interior has been changed, no bench seat bottom in the stern and modern pedestal seats were installed for the pilot and copilot, no other seats just an open floor. There is also a small v-berth under the deck with a matress pad (might need to use that someday!). Any help or information as to what this boat is would really help. Are YOU the previous owner? The boat was donated to the Center for Wooden Boats on Lake Union. Anyone else out there with an Off Shore??? I'll be needing lots of help and look forward to meeting other members soon. Tim the Toolman
Tim the Toolman
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Tim,

Let me be the first to welcome you ABOARD!

Best thing would be to get all the information that is requested under the "What Do I Have" tab on the main page of this site. With these demensions it will help narrow down what model you might have.
Also the letters and numbers stamped into the inside of the transom would also be helpful. It is sometime high up on the transom and may be covered by the splash well. Generally it is on the starboard side of the transom.
Info from the OBC plate also helps, if that is still there.

Pictures also help. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Good Luck,

Phill
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Hello and welcome aboard!

Is this a boat made by Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. at Peshtigo, Wisconsin?

If so, the serial number 28298 is the highest in my database and this puts the boat about the 1967 model year range. The 1962 model year range serial numbers are about 20895 to about 22601.

Can you find the hull ID that is stamped into the wood of the transom, inside the boat? Usually starboard side and sometimes stamped upside down and sometimes covered up by some component added to the transom.

Is the 20'-1" the centerline length and if so is that measurment accurate? What is the gunwale length? What is the beam? What is the transom width?

Describe the windshield frame.

Andreas
Tim the Toolman

What I Have

Thanks for the replies so far! I can not find the model number on my Thompson, so only the serial number for now. I have some overall dimensions now, the overall length is 20' 1", the beam is 8' and the gunwale length is 21' 8". I've also tried to attach a few pictures.

Any further help in identifying the model and year would be appreciated very much! I'd also like to know if the CD-ROM set for Thompson's would show the original seats as the ones I have are certainly not original. Thanks very much! Tim
Tim the Toolman
Tim the Toolman

Forget to mention this is a Peshtigo boat Andreas.
Tim the Toolman