Grady-White spin-off

Have a question or comment about the origin of your boat or about the company? Disscuss it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

LancerBoy

Grady-White spin-off

Post by LancerBoy »

I continue my research into the history of these boat builders. I was paging thru the March 1964 issue of "The Boating Industry" magazine recently. Out of the corner of my eye I see the Grady-White Boats name in an article. It told about the formation of a new boat builder. Three of the principals were former employees of Grady-White Boats.

This new entity was called MARINE CORPORATION OF AMERICA (MACOA) and they were located at Salisbury, NC. They had been formed to make wooden lapstrake boats. The three guys that were involved were Jack Cuthbertson, Spike Peterson and Charles Yunger. All three had been with Grady-White. Spike Peterson was one of the original workers at G-W, coming from Cruisers, Inc. with Glen Grady in 1959.

I have not learned if MACOA actually built any boats. And if they did, the length of time they were in business. I just can not imagine them making it, starting out in 1964 making wooden boats. The markets for wooden boats was quickly disappearing at that time.

Anyway, just thought I'd hare my "new" discovery! If anyone has any information about MACOA, please let me know.

Andreas
thompsonboat@msn.com