Thomspon Boat factory in 2011

Have a question or comment about the origin of your boat or about the company? Disscuss it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

LancerBoy

Thomspon Boat factory in 2011

Post by LancerBoy »

Here is a picture of what I see out of the window when I work in Peshtigo, which has been quite a bit in the past 5 weeks:

This is the old Thompson Boat factory (1912-1971 location). The building seen here was constructed in 1949 to replace fire destroyed buildings. In the picture with the blinds, you can see the lumber storage shed in the right background.

This entire complexe is empty and available for ownership!

Andreas
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

Andreas, You should ask for an inside tour just in case they left an old sign, clock or something hanging around. I would love to find some old Thompson memorabilia to adorn the boat house with. :)
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

Seeing unused factory sites like this remind me of growing up in the Detroit area. I always wanted to sneak into the old Packard plant just to have a look around. Would be nice to see someone find a new use for the Thompson plant.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I've been in it a number of times. Thompson Boat moved out in 1971 to a new factory across the river. Everyhting got moved out at that time. Several other manufacturers have been in this space since that time, The last one went belly up and moved out about 5 years ago. It's been empty since that time.

Lots of broken windows these days and I bet the roof is leaking. It will not be too long before it's complete junk.

I have a Thompson clock that I found in a pile of junk circa 1973. Thomspon Boat sold their complex and had to move out before their new facility was completd. They used our finishing department (60' x 280' room) for storage of boats and other stuff in the interim. When my dad took over I was assigned the task to sweep the floors (50,000 sq.ft. of floor space). I was about 8 or 9 years of age. In a pile of scrap metal and wooden pallets etc. was this clock. Even at that age I knew it was cool. I grabbed it and have had it ever since that time. I think it's from circa 1963.

Andreas
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The former Thompson Boat factory at Peshtigo sold recently. It was foreclosed upon and sold at sherriff's auction. My dad said it sold for about $100,000! A week after it sold, a seciton of roof in one portion caved in. Probably due to years of leaky roof which casued decay.

Andreas
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

My father told me last evening that all the old Thompson Boat factory buidings at Peshtigo have been razed/torn down. This is the complex on Ellis Avenue where they were located from 1912 to 1971. The new owner (got the 100,000 sq.ft. complex on 10 acres for $100,000.00 or so) decided not to try and fix it up. Lots of leaky roofs for many, many years have deteriorated the structures. It's all being ground up into mush. No attempt to salvage anything.

Two large steel clad buildings built after Thompson Boat moved out in 1971 are being saved.

SAD!

I'll be in Peshtigo area at Xmas and will go take photos of the remnants.

Andreas
LancerBoy

Re: Thomspon Boat factory in 2011

Post by LancerBoy »

Actually it was only a portion of the old Thompson factory that was torn down. It was buildings constructed in 1956 and 1957 to replace space lost in the big fire of March 1955. They also tore down the boiler room.

A number of buildings in the complex from the Thompson Boat era (1912-1971) are still standing.

Andreas
willsu

Post by willsu »

Would be fun to restore some of the buildings for use. Lets say a storage facility for classic boats of the Thompson vintage.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

No kidding. I have thought about that! I could kick my father for not buying it. His factory is right next door. Could always use more square footage of space! And the entire complex, some 150,000 square feet of buildings on about 8 acres, sold for less than $100,000.

Oh well. I bet Tom Joy, the current owner, would sell it for a profit.

Andreas