Sea Coaster (Peshtigo) evolution

Have a question or comment about the origin of your boat or about the company? Disscuss it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

LancerBoy

Sea Coaster (Peshtigo) evolution

Post by LancerBoy »

Here are some factory pictures of the Sea Coaster thru the years. Wow, did she change!
john

Post by john »

Thanks for the history!

Have you ever seen a open lapstrake, looks very nice!

What is the difference between Thomsom quality and regular quality boats? Never have heard of that before.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Pete Thompson's son Jerry has an open lapstrake Sea Mate from circa 1963. Just an open boat - no deck or seat backs, etc... It was displayed at the Thompson Boat Rally a few years ago. Pete said it was an unfinsihed hull that sat in a corner of the factory. One day he decided to turn it into an open fishing boat.

For a year or two only, Thompson offered the lapstrake boats with clinch nail fastening lieu of bolts/nuts. So..."Thompson Quality" was the bolted hull planking while "Regular Quality" was clinch nailed. Lyman's were clinh nailed.

I have NEVER seen nor heard of a lapstrake Thompson that is clinch nailed. So, I have concluded that virtually no one bought them that way.

Cruisers, Inc. had an order from Montgomery Wards circa 1956 to make 300? boats for the retailer. Those were clinch nailed, not bolted.

Andreas
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

Nice history lesson about the quality of Thompson boats. Thank you!
Verne :D
willsu

Post by willsu »

Looking at the Model 1773 reminds of mine. I think mine must be the 1750 model, it has back to back seats except the front is a full bench. Even the color is the same. I can remeber the the models from the 50's. It reminds me fishing with my dad in northern Minnesota when I was a kid. Thanks for posting the pics.