TVT Construction - Fact or Fiction

Have a question or comment about the origin of your boat or about the company? Disscuss it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

JRPfeff

TVT Construction - Fact or Fiction

Post by JRPfeff »

I found the following on the internet.
This is a 14' 1955 Thompson TVT Super Deluxe Runabout, this boat was found in Racine, Wisconsin. This is one of the first built in 1955 with a fiber-glass hull, glassed from spray rail to spray rail, in the specs from the thompson catalog read 14' Length 54'' width 22'' depth weight 250 pounds and capacity 700Lbs. This boat has a factory fiberglassed hull.
I see nothing in the 1955 catalog about "factory fiberglass" on the hulls. Am I missing something or is this guy trying to sell a bad restoration job as cutting edge 1955 technology?

Jim
phil21a

Re: TVT Construction - Fact or Fiction

Post by phil21a »

JRPfeff wrote:I found the following on the internet.
This is a 14' 1955 Thompson TVT Super Deluxe Runabout, this boat was found in Racine, Wisconsin. This is one of the first built in 1955 with a fiber-glass hull, glassed from spray rail to spray rail, in the specs from the thompson catalog read 14' Length 54'' width 22'' depth weight 250 pounds and capacity 700Lbs. This boat has a factory fiberglassed hull.
I see nothing in the 1955 catalog about "factory fiberglass" on the hulls. Am I missing something or is this guy trying to sell a bad restoration job as cutting edge 1955 technology?

Jim
I have a 14 ft. 1954 Thompson tvt runabout, that I found in Derry N.H. It also has a fiber-glassed hull from the underside of sprayrail to underside of sprayrail and also outside of transome There has never been any attempt to restore boat and is in original condition according to original owner
a j r

Post by a j r »

Yes, factory applied fiberglass coating was offered on the strip built hulls in 1955. It could be applied either from spray rail to spray rail or from gunwale to gunwale. This was only offerd at the Peshtigo factory, not Cortland. Page 23 of brochure 55-P tells about the details. Brochure 55-C has no mention of this option.

My 1955 Thomboy has the factory applied fiberglass from spray rail to spray rail. It was a $42.00 option.

Andreas
phil21a

Post by phil21a »

a j r wrote:Yes, factory applied fiberglass coating was offered on the strip built hulls in 1955. It could be applied either from spray rail to spray rail or from gunwale to gunwale. This was only offerd at the Peshtigo factory, not Cortland. Page 23 of brochure 55-P tells about the details. Brochure 55-C has no mention of this option.

My 1955 Thomboy has the factory applied fiberglass from spray rail to spray rail. It was a $42.00 option.

Andreas
thanks for the infomation is there any mention of fiber-glass on 1954 models also the color appears to be mist green complete sides and transom small bow deck is mahogany
a j r

Post by a j r »

Fiberglass covering was not offered according to the 1954 catalog. The transom would not have originally been painted. It would have been varnished - both inside and out.

Anderas
phil21a

Post by phil21a »

a j r wrote:Fiberglass covering was not offered according to the 1954 catalog. The transom would not have originally been painted. It would have been varnished - both inside and out.

Anderas
interesting in that the original owner stated that the boat was in original condition. the hull no. is cx4 459 w the trnsom also has a 1/4 in.x2 and 1/2 in. border along sides and bottom appears original . there ar also 6 fender hooks spaced arround the sides crome on bronze, does that make sense. again they appear to have been factory installed do you have a hp. rating for this boat Phil
a j r

Post by a j r »

In 1954 the 14-55 TVT hulls were rated for up to 33 HP and for racing up to 50 HP.

The hooks were probably NOT from the factory. The original dealer could have installed 'em. The only standard hardware item that came with the boat from the factory was the eye bolt on the stem. Cleats, chocks, windshield, steering wheel, etc.. were all optional equipment. Most boats were ordered by the dealers without any factory accessories and the dealership installed their own hardware.

Andreas
johnpthompson

Post by johnpthompson »

Gang,

Our 1953 "16 foot" Super Deluxe TVT was also fiberglassed when the second owner (from whom we purchased the boat) got it in 1967. If this was not an original job, it was done by someone who new what they were doing, as it has been holding for four decades.

There is no mention of a fiberglass option in the 1953 catalog, so my guess is that it is not original, but it is still keeping the boat afloat.

John Thompson
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

Reading this thread, the obvious question becomes - - - - -if , when my boat is upside down and I've stripped off all the old bottom paint and replaced the keelson, why shouldn't I coat the wetted hull in fiberglass resin, cover with shredded glass and more resin and when hardened sand down and paint ? The interior hull of my boat is in excellent condition. My thoughts on it are to power wash it, dry it and refinish with varnish. This seems to simple so I know there's got to be a catch. Where will this plan go awry ?

Brian
I'd have a boat and a Harley even if there were no water or roads in the world.
89 MACH I MV1900CC
62 Cruiser's Inc 302V Commander (under restoration) 67 Johnson 100hp Golden Meteor (running like new)
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Why, becasue you will destroy the boat. It will rot from the inside out. Fiberglassing a wooden lapstrake hull is a really bad idea.

Andreas
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

You know, one of the things I like about this forum is that folks answer my sometimes dumbass questions without regard for the ignorance behind them. I appreciate that. Thanks for stating the obvious reason why glassing the wetted hull would be a bad idea

Brian
I'd have a boat and a Harley even if there were no water or roads in the world.
89 MACH I MV1900CC
62 Cruiser's Inc 302V Commander (under restoration) 67 Johnson 100hp Golden Meteor (running like new)