Another - What do I have?

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

abbottep

Another - What do I have?

Post by abbottep »

Thompson - 13513
16 ft long
58 inch wide at transom
72inch wide at dash
13 ft transom along keel forward to where bow turns

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 8d4ed880e9
Edward (Ted) Abbott
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Welcome aboard!

What company built the boat and at what location?
Is this the hull ID stamped into the wood of the transom or is it the serial number on the metal builder's tag?
Do you have pictures of the back of the front seats and of the windshield frame?

Andreas
abbottep

Post by abbottep »

I bought from a guy who said only its a Thompson SeaCoaster. That was all he knew.
Number is etched in the wood. There was no plate i could find.
I will get the pics.
Based on some other posts looks like built in Cortland NY. Early 60s.
Edward (Ted) Abbott
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Based on the ribs alone, I beleive she is a boat made by Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc. located at Cortland, NY. She'd be the Sea Coaster model at 16 ft. length.

The ribs do not meet at the center of the boat but extend to the opposite stringer. That was a feature unique to Cortland built boats after circa 1960.

I have a Sea Coaster from them as well. Her hull ID is 14017 and I beleive she is a 1961? model year. Your 13513 hull ID is probably 1961 or maybe 1960.

Brochures for Thompson Boat including Thompson of NY are available for purchase on a CD-ROM at www.wcha.org

Andreas
abbottep

Post by abbottep »

Thank you. I would love to see photos your similar boat?
Edward (Ted) Abbott
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Here are some photos of the circa 1961 Cortland built Thompson Sea Coaster I have. Nothing has been done to her since obtained in this condition.
http://www.thompsondockside.com/views/v ... php?t=3336

There is one for sale listed on eBay or is it craigs list? as a 1957 Thompson Sea Coaster. It is later than that, probably 1960 or 1961. Lots of pictures posted of this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1957-Tho ... 19d5091d3c

Andreas
abbottep

Post by abbottep »

Awesome. My boat looks these, but I seem to be missing a lot of stuff. Like the toe rail around the foredeck, all those spot lights, the gauges in the dash, the Thompson signs on stern quarter panel. I sure hope I can get this stuff in the future. When I am ready for it.
Edward (Ted) Abbott
abbottep

Post by abbottep »

Can anyone tell me if I should be worrying about being able to find these missing pieces? I feel like spending time to restore and not being able to find these missing pieces will limiting factor in the restoration project.
Edward (Ted) Abbott
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Abbottep,

A lot of the deck hardware, etc. was after market and installed by the dealers. Watch Ebay and go to boat shows and look for the items you want or need. Also ask if you do not see it out at a boat show or swap meet. Many times the guy may have it but not out or he may know someone to contact who might hae it. They are out there but one must keep an eye out and be ready when the right item comes along.

The Thompson side plates come up every once in awhile, but if you do not have them that should not stop the restoration. Sonner or later you will find them somewhere.

Good Luck,

Phill
abbottep

Post by abbottep »

Thanks I feel a renewed sense of purpose. Now i will start asking a lot of questions about diy garboard/lapstrake fabrication and installation.
Edward (Ted) Abbott
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Always like seeing another Cortland boat being brought back. If you have any more pictures of the her with the garboards off I'd like to see them.

I may be wrong about this, but our Cortland boats were framed differently than most boats of the time. The frames (ribs) extend under the main keel to the sister keelson on the other side. All other boats I've seen, the frames end at the keel.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware