What is She?

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

LancerBoy

What is She?

Post by LancerBoy »

OK sports fans, what is she? I have determined she is NOT a Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. or any of her spin-offs. She just does not fit the dimensions or construction of a Thompson; Cruisers, Inc.; T & T Boats, Inc.; Grady-White Boat...

The plywood planking is screw fastened to the steam bent white oak ribs. The planking is clinch nailed to the adjacent planking piece. She is not bolted like a Thompson et.al. The outside layer of the transom is plywood, not solid boards. The inner layer is solid boards.

There is NO hull ID or serial number or any other markings on the boat. The interior is long gone. The deck is gone.

Dimensions are: 15'-6" centerline length; 16'-1" gunwale length; 69" beam; 61" transom width; 56" deck length form tip of bow to dahsboard. She has an OBC rating tag with 33 HP and 610 pounds capacity. I wonder if this OBC tag is original. It definately has been moved at least one time.

Andreas
TDockside

Re: What is She?

Post by TDockside »

I say she is a mid 1950's Dunphy. It looks like that if the deck was laid on top of its supports it would not be flat but have roundish shape to it, consistent with Dunphy's designs of that era.

That's my vote!
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Looked thru my Dunphy Boats CD with the borhcures. Don't see anything like this baby. Penn Yan is my next firm to investigate. The Lyman folks haven't gotten back to me yet.

Thanks for the tip.

Andreas
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

The part that is throwing me is the combination of the lower lapstrakes with the upper solid plywood. I have owned a few Lymans and don't think that I have ever seen one that looked like that (not that I have seen them all).
I think that we are going to find that it is from one of the companys that mostly buit the smaller sized boats. Like Dunphy or Wolverine.
We tend to forget how many small boat manufacturers there were at one time in this country. I run across adds for boats that I have never heard of all the time.
The mystery continues.....
Keep us posted.
Karl.
TDockside

Post by TDockside »

The reason I think it's a Dunphy is I was googling 1950's Dunphys and one came up that had the exact looking bow and looked to be the same size. I am still thinking that is what it could be but not sure I want to bet anyone! at least not yet!
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I am leaning towards CAYUGA BOAT of Buffalo, NY

Andreas
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

Cayuga?
Like I posted earlier,another one I've never heard of...