Thompson Bros. Cortland plant

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

tmcconnell

Thompson Bros. Cortland plant

Post by tmcconnell »

Hello all I am new here and have been waiting patiently to be able to post. Now here I am. Any way I have this Cortland made Thompson And am trying to identify it. From what I gather it is 13'5" in length, gunwale is about 13'8", transom is 42" at its widest, and 48" at its widest point. Also I have a 1951 evinrude 14hp to go with it.

http://s825.photobucket.com/user/tmccon ... son%20Boat

Thanks all!! Oh not sure if the link is a click link but I believe the url will take u to my photo bucket.
Last edited by tmcconnell on Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tmcconnell

Re: Thompson Bros. Cortland plant

Post by tmcconnell »

Any help putting a year to this would be gratefully appreciated. I think it is just a plain jane 14' tvt. THe colors are green bottom, whit above the spray rail and sained varnish top and inside. I guess I should learn how to use the camera so its not black and white. Thanks again.
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

tmcconnell,

I do not know of any way of positively finding the year of a boat built in Cortland, NY. I can tell you that it appears you have a model know as the TVT Hydroplane Runabout. These show up in the catalog's from 1935 thru 1955.

Sorry, I can not be of more help on the year of manufacture.

There are CD's and thumb drives available with the old Thompson catalogs on them from Dragon Fly Canoe's website. These are what I used to determine your model.

Good Luck,

Phill
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Welcome aboard! Sweet looking boat.

She is one of the many TVT hulls. TVT = Thompson V Type. It was not a model name but the term Thompson used to describe their hull design.

Is there a HULL ID stamped into the wood of the transom inside the boat?

The CD-ROM or flash drive of old brochures is at www.wcha.org

Andreas
tmcconnell

Post by tmcconnell »

that is great help I appreciate it. Definitely gives me an idea of what I have here. Thanks again.
tmcconnell

Post by tmcconnell »

LancerBoy wrote:Welcome aboard! Sweet looking boat.

She is one of the many TVT hulls. TVT = Thompson V Type. It was not a model name but the term Thompson used to describe their hull design.

Is there a HULL ID stamped into the wood of the transom inside the boat?

The CD-ROM or flash drive of old brochures is at http://www.wcha.org

Andreas

I have no papers for this boat and as much as i can see there are no numbers on the hull or the transom. but there is lots of paint maybe it got painted over, or replaced with new wood in the past.