my 64 sea coaster

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Robert

my 64 sea coaster

Post by Robert »

greetings,
i am finally getting around to putting my boat info out here. i purchased, what the title says is a 1964 seacoaster. i know it is a seacoaster cause it says so on the dash.
the manufacturer plate says Thompson bros. peshtigo, 26232. the stamped in nubers are difficult to read, but i think 1501. the five is very faint. there is no plate giving the weight and horse power limits.
the boat is in pretty good condition. some hogging of the bottom, that i plan to deal with this summer.

i live in carrboro nc. got the boat in wilminton nc from a fellow who had it a year or 2. he got it from, i think, the son of origional owner. it had been brough to nc a few years prior to my purchase.

Thanks

Robert
Robert in Carrboro NC
1964 Peshtigo Sea Coaster
tmcconnell

Re: my 64 sea coaster

Post by tmcconnell »

Im not a guy who has answers to your questions, but do you have any pictures? I love looking at what people have.
Bill Dunn

Post by Bill Dunn »

I am sure Andreas will pipe in here if I am wrong, but if those are the numbers stamped in the transom it is a 1961 indicated by the first 1. It is also boat number 501 built by Thompson that year (all models included). There should be a letter before and after that would be for who built the boat. Titles and registration are very often wrong on the year on boats of this age since most of the time there are no actual titles when they were built. I bought my Sea Lancer and registered it as a '62 but it is actually a '59. Andreas is cataloging as many boats as he can with both of the numbers you listed. He should be able to verify the year by where the serial number on the dash lines up with his records.
Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer
Robert

Post by Robert »

Tyler
I'll Post photos when I can. The boat is still under winter cover.

Bill
The stamped in number are very Difficult to make out. I think I'll have to strip the varnish to see the rest.
Robert in Carrboro NC
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Welcome aboard!

SERIAL NUMBER 26232 from the metal tag for a boat made by Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. of Peshtigo, WIS falls within the 1964 model year.

Yes, there should be more numbers and maybe some letters in the HULL ID stamped into the wood of the transom. It may also be written on the backside of the dashboard or under seats.

The model name did not get put on the dashboard of boats until 1962 models.

Brochures for Thompson Boat et.al. can be purchased on CD-ROM or flash drive at www.wcha.org

Come to the THOMPSON ABNTIQUE & CLASSIC BOAT RALLY on 27 June 2015 at Nestegg Marine in Marinette, WI

Andreas
Robert

Post by Robert »

Andreas
Thanks for the info. I'll be looking for The additional information when I can.
Sorry I can't make the rally this year. I'll be fixin the Boat up this summer.
Robert in Carrboro NC
Robert

Post by Robert »

How about H41501?
I have to almost "dream" the H and the 4 into view!
I have started the process of dismembering and will post photos etc when I get a chance.
Robert in Carrboro NC
Bill Dunn

Post by Bill Dunn »

The 4 would make it a 1964, to agree with Andreas' information. The 1501 would make it the 1501st boat made in 1964.
Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer
Robert

Post by Robert »

And the H?
Robert in Carrboro NC
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

H = a code for the guy in the factory that was the leader of the crew that built this particular boat. it is NOT an initial from his name.
4 = last digit of the model year - ie 1964
1501 = the 1,501st boat of all models made that model year.

The model year started in September 1963. So just like automobiles, the 1964 models were being made as early as September 1963.

Andreas Jordahl Rhude