1957 Cruisers 16' hull# 7 G5423

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

57cruisermerc

1957 Cruisers 16' hull# 7 G5423

Post by 57cruisermerc »

need information on the construction of the inner keel/sister keelsons on my cruisers boat. I know it's similar to thompson's construction, but , my inner keel is one board, laying in the horizontal position ? Was this a poor attempt at a repair years ago? If so, want to correct this. I will be replacing/ modifying the transom too. Before I release the inner and outer keel, should I replace the transom to help retain hull shape ? Right now I'm in the process of removing all hardware, windshield etc. to "flip and strip" just trying to get my game plan !! I want to thank all the other members for their detailed pics and text, I'm taking a lot of pics as I go, as soon as I can figure out how to post I will !!!
Jim Placko
Potosi Wi
jimplacko@gmail.com
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Re: 1957 Cruisers 16' hull# 7 G5423

Post by thegammas »

I would replace the transom first before disassembling the rest of the structure so as to help maintain the shape of the boat. Thing is, you never know what you will find when you start to peel back the layers. So perhaps build a brace that you can put in right after you remove the transom to replace it's structural contribution. If after getting the transom out you see that you really can't put it back in without work on the other structures, then the brace is already there.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
57cruisermerc

Post by 57cruisermerc »

Peter,
Thanks for your input ! After conversations with Michael from Snake Mountain Boatworks and watching Louis Suazedde and hearing from you, I have a plan. This isn't my first boat, but the last wood boat I had was when I was fourteen !! I built it from Glen L plans , 8' hydroplane "tiny titan" My dad said ( after I heard him tell my mom,"he'll never finish it" ) If you finish your boat, I'll get you a motor.... Well, at the end of June that year (48 yrs. ago ) A 20 hp green mercury motor appeared !!! So, here I am, In the middle of a blizzard, working on my boat and remembering about all the doubting encouragement I had before !! I keep telling myself, It's the same as when you built your first boat but now, You have a lot of new technology, tools and expertise of others that are willing to share information on my restoration . And positive encouragement from professionals !! I'm trying to keep my boat as original as possible .... on the outside. As for inside, structural integrity and using the latest materials and methods, combined with long standing shipwright practices are my goal. This boat will become a family heirloom that will get passed on, so as my first employer told me, "If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to have the time to do it over" keeps hounding me, I'm doing just that, taking my time, listening and watching as much as possible !! Thanks Peter !!!
Jim
Jim Placko
Potosi Wi
jimplacko@gmail.com
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

Jim. Pay attention to Peter! Check out his bracing in his posts...i will next time. The knowledge and help on this site is incredible.
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

10-4 regarding Peter's work. I think he spent more time building bucks and jigs than actually working on the boat! But it all paid off. :D
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Ha! It's so true! The braces, the blocking, the lifting brace in the garage attic. I think I have spent more time playing with things around the boat, vs. working on it. Right now I am building a shed for it under the deck and sun room out back so I can park my car in the garage for the first time in 20 years! My brother says I like to work on the boat more than using it. Might be true.....

Jim, Enjoy the journey and keep us posted!
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
57cruisermerc

Post by 57cruisermerc »

Merry Christmas to all !!! Here I am, it's 2 a.m. , working on my boat !! After much frustration, trying to post pics on here,, I've decided to use the "Thompson group" on face book to post my pics..... easier for me, as I'm concentrating my efforts on the boat, so I will start posting pics on there. So far windshield, motor, all hardware. floor, seat etc. has been removed. After uncovering a few "suprises" the plan so far is to replace the inner and outer keel, repair the ribs (4" scarf joints, epoxy & bolted together) replace garbord planks, repair/ replace any lapstrakes, replace trasom and refinish accordingly. Whew ! The hoist points (4) installed in the ceiling, 2- 8' "hoops" fabricated, working on bracing, roller dollies, and rigging. I'm a "one - man band" on this project, so designing a in place roller - hoop to flip the boat in place was the only way to go !! What a journey ! Looking forward to the new year, thanks to everyone for the encouragement and tips !!

Jim
Jim Placko
Potosi Wi
jimplacko@gmail.com
Bill Dunn

Post by Bill Dunn »

Welcome to the world of old wood boats!! When you get done with all of the work, it will be worth while. I get compliments on my Sea Lancer every time I put her in the Mississippi a few miles north of you in the La Crosse area. I bought my boat from my brother-in-law's parents, and his mother was from Potosi. Her brother and his family used to own Gibby's Bar in downtown. We haven't had a chance to come through that area since the brewery opened back up, but we are planning to sometime in the near future. Listen to all of the pointers you get on this site, and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer
57cruisermerc

Post by 57cruisermerc »

Bill, thanks for the encouragement !! If you get to Potosi, look me up !! I now have the boat flipped over (actually, I can put it in any position, I fabricated a set of "roller hoops"... what a back saver !!! ) removing the layers of paint, fiberglass,silicone, aluminum roof flashing and even some drywall corner running the full length of the outer keel !! Amazing what was tried to seal the hull over the years . I purchased the boat in mid August this last year in Brownsville Mn. , the previous owner couldn't get it running ?? After 5 minutes of diagnostics, I had it running !!! as it was, it performed remarkably well !! We had it out 4 times since and we fell for our "old wooden boat " !! I made the mistake of saying to my significant other: "I guess I just like old things" !! talk about a look that could kill !!! LOL !! I have old motorcycles, cars, 150 year old house, and now a 60 year old boat, that when it's done will be something I will hand down to my kids !! this truly will be an adventure, I'm enjoying every minute !!

Jim
Jim Placko
Potosi Wi
jimplacko@gmail.com
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

Sorry Jim, the boat is about to steal the show...
57cruisermerc

Post by 57cruisermerc »

Steve, I think you're right !! We live on the Mississippi and I had't been on the river in years ! Our 4 brief outings last fall, were great !! I can't wait to spend more time on the water in our "new" boat !!
For all those that have responded or viewed my posts, I have pics on f/b thompson boat owners group ... It's much easier for me to post there, and from what I can see,, most of the members here follow it, so if you would like to see my progress take a look !!!

Jim
Jim Placko
Potosi Wi
jimplacko@gmail.com