1958 Cruisers Seafarer

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

buxci

Re: 1958 Cruisers Seafarer

Post by buxci »

Thanks Andreas and glad to see your health is great!

Buck.
Robert

Post by Robert »

yes, "live oaking" was a profession back in the day. cutting live oak for ships knees etc. = much used in traditional ship building.
green wood is typically better for stem bending..

good luck
Robert in Carrboro NC
1964 Peshtigo Sea Coaster
buxci

Post by buxci »

Hello everyone. While working on the boat last week I found more rot, at the front of the boat where I didn't think there was any. I found that the starboard garboard plank had slightly pulled away from the stem and there was rot on the knee on the inside. I was excited about getting back to work on her and that I had found a source for green live oak for the ribs, I thought I would really be making some noticeable progress, but because of this newfound rot I have decided that there is too much rot to make it worthwhile to save. I am in the process of disassembling her to get all the brass screws out and to make it easier to cut up and get rid of. I am bummed but glad to make this decision before I have put more time and money into this project. One positive already is that I will be getting my parking spot back in the garage so I can get my truck (89 Jeep Comanche, original owner) back in there and by doing so I can get collector car insurance and thus save about $400 a year on insurance. As for boats, I am looking for a classic fiberglass boat that I can put my 71 Evinrude 50 hp on and get on the water! I have not or will not lose my love for these wooden boats and will continue to check in on this site from time to time. It has been so helpful and inspiring and if I think I can help I will chime in.

I will be selling parts from this boat and would like to give you all first dibs. Please pm me with anything you might be able to use.

Thanks to all of you again, hope to meet some of you in person at a boat show someday.

Buck.
andre lafrance

Post by andre lafrance »

just an aside, buck. this coming july I will have begun my seventh year restoring a 1957 sea coaster deluxe (model 477). the most important thing I've learned is to take lots of pictures - LOTS! no matter how insignificant you may feel the picture is to you. also, keep a journal. at the end of a session, write down what you've done. hopefully, you'll keep the boat, BUT should you give it up, the pictures and journal will be an invaluable source of information for the next owner. good luck and best wishes...
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Hey Buck - where are you located. If you haven't started cutting her apart I may be interested in trying to save her.
Peter (e-mail peterstransky@verizon.net
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
buxci

Post by buxci »

I just emailed Peter but I wanted to let you all know that I didn't come to this decision hastily. After finding a source for green live oak for the ribs and getting started on scarfing the laps that needed repair I started to really clean the inside and tighten all the screws, during this I started noticing rot I hadn't seen before. I found epoxy and caulk all along the inner keelson which had been covered up by dirt, I also found some dry rot on lap ends at the transom on the starboard side. When I started disassembling her my suspicions were verified, the bottom of the boat literally folded in half when I got down to just the keel, keelson and parts of both garboard planks. I would have had to replace both garboard planks, keel, keelson, sister keelsons, knee, all ribs from the dash back, transom, windshield frame, all decking and scarf three laps on each side at the transom. I hadn't spent a lot of money on her yet, just time. I am not really upset, more relieved that I hadn't put more time and a lot more money into this project before realizing it was too far gone.

On a side note I have a bucket with almost every screw from this boat that I am giving my daughter to take with her when she cashes in her aluminum cans. Any guesses on how much that bucket weighs? It weighs more than I thought it would and I still have a little more to add to it. Closest guess wins....bragging rights.

Buck.
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Buck,
Not knowing what the actual bucket weighs, I will venture a guess that you have at least 15 pounds of screws in the bucket.

Phill
buxci

Post by buxci »

Hello everyone, just checking in to give an update. About a year ago I bought a '65 Lyncraft Seabreeze 1500. It will take some work to get on the water but I am hoping that this boat will eventually end up on the water. Some good news about my Cruiser's Inc. I will be transferring most of the chrome from the Seafarer to the Seabreeze. It is much better chrome and in much better shape. The steering wheel, lights, manual air horn, speedometer, cleats and step pads will be used. I gave the bucket of brass screws to my daughter so she could take it with her aluminum cans to cash in. The bucket weighed 18 pounds for anyone who was curious.

Buck.