Varnish Cure Before Launch?

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Bellbuoys

Varnish Cure Before Launch?

Post by Bellbuoys »

I recently renamed my boat, which required sanding the transom back to bare mahogany before ghosts of the old name were eliminated. I have since applied 9 coats of Epifanes and am now wondering: 1) Do I have enough coats?, and 2) How long do I wait before applying the new vinyl nameplate and then launching? Interestingly, for all that is available under Google, I cannot find a response to this one. Thoughts are welcome.
Brad
1938 Chris Craft Deluxe Runabout
1953 Thompson Thomboy
1956 Yellow Jacket Catalina
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Re: Varnish Cure Before Launch?

Post by thegammas »

hard to answer the # of coats question..... how thick were the coats, do you have any high or low spots etc.
As for the sticker, I'd wait at least two weeks after the final coat feels completely cured - nothing but a gut feel behind that answer
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
Bellbuoys

Post by Bellbuoys »

Thanks Peter. Yes, there are probably a few high and low spots. I pulled the boat out into the sunlight yesterday, and took another pass with 320 grit. That 9th coat seemed to be a bit thicker and I didn't like the flow even as it went on. After the sanding, a modestly thinned (<5%) 10th coat was rolled on and I believe this will be it.

And I appreciate your prompt reply to the cure time question.It will be interesting to see if there are other responders as well. I was somewhat surprised that Google yielded nothing on this. I have a posting into the Jamestown Distributors forum as well, and I will share what they come back with.

BTW, in case you are seeing this note first, check your email for separate note.
Brad
1938 Chris Craft Deluxe Runabout
1953 Thompson Thomboy
1956 Yellow Jacket Catalina
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

There is a great forum/group on Facebook; "Thompson boat owners group"
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware