I found a Thompson above a garage...

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

dcjones

I found a Thompson above a garage...

Post by dcjones »

I was hoping that somebody could help me find more information about it.

It's 11' 6" long, and about 3' 8" wide. The dataplate shows Thompson Bros, Peshtigo, Wis, with a serial number of 10625.

Would this have been set up for an outboard, or could it have been a rowboat? Repairs have been started on it, but it looks to me like it needs quite a bit of work.

What would the boat been skinned with? Mahogany or cedar, or something else entirely?

Thanks...
Dan
a j r

Post by a j r »

Is the planking off the boat?

Is it lapstrake planking? or strip built? or canvas covered like a wood/canvas canoe?

Is there a hull ID styamped into the wood fo the transom, inside the boat?

Is this an open rowboat/fishing boat or does she have decks and seats, etc...?

Andreas
dcjones

Post by dcjones »

Hi, Andreas. The planking is still on the outside of the hull, but some of the interior planking has been removed.

It appears to me to be strip built.

I'll have to check on the hull ID on the transom - I probably won't be able to get over there until next weekend.

It appears to me to be an open rowing or fishing boat - there are no seats at all in it right now.

You can see a couple of photos here:

http://home.twcny.rr.com/dcjones/images/Thompson002.jpg

http://home.twcny.rr.com/dcjones/images/Thompson007.jpg

Thanks.....
Dan
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hi Dan. The pictures help immensley. It appears to be a TAKE-ALONG model. Am I seeing planking on the inside of the boat (starboard side), on top of the ribs??? If yes, that should NOT be there.

If the hull planking is very thin boards about 1/4 inch thick and their widths are about 4 inches, then I believe she's a Take-Along.

Strip built hulls will have planking that is 1/2 to 5/8 inch thick x about 1 1/4" wide and it will be convex/concave shaped.

Andreas
dcjones

Post by dcjones »

Thanks, Andreas, for the quick reply.

There is some planking on the inside of the hull - it appears that either somebody decided to add it there and never finished, or the previous owner was in the process of removing it. The hull planking is indeed thin - it looks about 1/8 inch thick - and three to four inches wide.

I'll have to find some photos of a Take-Along - I bet you're right. Do you happen to know when they were produced?

Dan
a j r

Post by a j r »

Brochures for Thompson et.al. are available for sale on a CD-ROM from Dan Miller at www.dragonflycanoe.com

The Take-Along was introduced about 1947 and made at Peshtigo until 1962.

According to your serial number this is ABOUT a 1957 boat. The hull ID stamped into the wood of the transom will give the year.