Thompson ThomBoy ID

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Woody

Thompson ThomBoy ID

Post by Woody »

Found transom stamps :) . Can't make out all the numbers :( .
Here's what I know:
Serial # on metal plate is 27364

Two stamped numbers on transom:
80116 The 8 could easily be a 6 or 5 or ??
90980 The first digit could be 5 or ??

The deck is covered with a grayish vinyl. The seats have a greenish tint with white inserts.

1963 Evinrude 75hp

Thanx
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

So, there are TWO distinct hull ID's stamped into the wood of the transom? That's a first!

Your serial number is in the range of late 1964 or early 1965 model year. Therefore the FIRST number in the hull ID should start with either a 4 or 5. My guess is that your hull ID's are: "50116" and "50980".

The first "5" indicates the model year ending with 5, therefore 1955 or 1965. They did not have a lapstrake Thomboy in 1955 and the other information you mentioned eliminates 1955.

In "50116" this would be the 116th boat (of all models) made in the 1965 model year. In "50980" it would be the 980th boat of all models made in the 1965 model year.

The '65 Sea Lancer I restored a few years ago had a hull ID of C 50388 and serial number of 26670.

Andreas
Woody

Does interior color help

Post by Woody »

Andreas

I read a response of your's I recall that indicated different interior colors for 64 and 65.

Can't find this on the forums.
Are any of the people who made this boat still around?
Thanx
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

1963 Thomboy has blue and white vinyl decking, seat uphostery, dashboard and cockpit liners.

1964 Thomboy has gray and white vinyl decking, seat upholstery, dasboard and cockpit liners.

The Thomboy is NOT pictured in the 1965 brochure. However, the Sea Coaster series (of which the Thomboy is one) has blue and white vinyl decking, seat upholstery, dashboard and cockpit liners.

In 1966 the Thomboy has green and white vinyl decking, seat upholsterey, dashboard and cockpit liners.

You can see for yourself by purchasing the Thompson Boat Brochures on CD-ROM from www.dragonflycanoe.com or www.wcha.org

There are many guys that worked at Thompson Boat still living. many of them attend the Thompson Antique & Classic Boat Rally. There were NO employee codes in your hull ID, so there is no means to determine who worked on your boat.

Andreas
Woody

Seat and deck diff. color?

Post by Woody »

Is it possible for seats and decking to look different with age?
The decks, dashboard, side panels all appear gray and white. The seats appear to have a green tint to them. This green is a light army green.
Is it possible the seats have been switched? :?:
The seat configuration is fold downs (front and rear facing with small seats at the back on each side. Is this correct for ThomBoy?
Also, is it possible the reason for two stamps is selling a '64 in '65?
Woody

Vinyl Colors match under hardware

Post by Woody »

Upon removing deck hardware it is becoming clear the color was once green.
The textures of the seats and decking are different. The decking has a leather grain texture. The seats are smoother. Two different material; different resistance to fading?
I have posted pictures of my double transom stamps under new post.
I spoke to Mr. Bill Luedtke today. Thompson employee for some 23 years beginning in 1951. Great guy. He was surprised the stamps did not include letters.
He said he use to build the hulls and someone else would trim them out.
I believe my lower stamp has a 5 as the first number. Look closely at posted pictures.
Could it be: My hull was built in '65; trimmed out in '66 and the green and white interior installed? (Green and White-Go Spartans. I'm liking this boat more everyday.)
The mouse may have been the only one to know for sure. Found him(?) under the floor boards. These consequence are just given he and others destroyed seats and insulation of motor cover and ate holes in the cover.