Super Thomboy

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Matthew

Super Thomboy

Post by Matthew »

I am purchacing , from the boat restoration shop I work at, what is titled as a 1967 Thompson Super Thomboy (according to the state of Florida). I have the hull # and serial #, but forgot to look at the place of manufacture that will have to wait til Monday. The hull# is N 31059 A
the serial # is 23648. The interior has been disassembled but the dash is intact with Super Thomboy logo on the port side, can anyone tell me what it is? Thankyou
Matthew
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Boat is from Peshtigo, Wis.
Matthew
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

She is a 1963 model year boat. Both the hull ID and serial number confirm this.

"N 31059 A" indicates this is the 1,059th boat (of all models) made in the model year ending in "3". The "3" must either be 1953 or 1963. The "N" and "A" are codes for the guys in the factory that were in charge of getting this particular boat out the door. "N" was the "builder" and "A" was the trimmer. "A" was Bill Luedtke - who still lives at Peshtigo. I don't know who "N" was.

The serial number verifies that this is a 1963 model year boat.

So, the state paperwork is wrong. That is not surprising. Registrations, titles, bills of sale, and memories are notorious for being incorrect.

The Super Thomboy price was $1,795.00 in 1963. This compares to $1,350.00 for the Thomboy and $1,550.00 for the Super Lancer.

You can purchase Thompson Boat et.al. brochures and prices lists on a CD-ROM from www.dragonflycanoe.com and www.wcha.org

Come on up to the 6th Thompson Antique & Classic Boat Rally 8-10 August 2008 at Marinette, WI. It is a fun event, NO judging and NO awards.

Hope this helps.

Andreas
thompsonboat@msn.com
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Andreas,
Thankyou so much for the info, makes it all that much more interesting. I am going to see if I can get the title straightened out just for my own satisfactin. She is suprisingly solid for her age, decks being the only wood needing to be replaced. Do you know if the vynal was an option or should I stick with it, I'm having difficulty locating it. Thanks again! The excitement escalates!
Matthew
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Vinyl was standard on that model in the 1963 model year. Don't know if stain and varnish was an option. But Thompson Boat customized boats all the time at customer request. So it's very possible they made some Super Thomboys with varnished decks.

Andreas
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

If vynal was standard then I will replace it, if I can locate a source. Anybody know where to by deck vynal? My internet searches are giving me nothing. I need blue and white to redo the decks and dash. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Matthew
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The original vinyl was probably a product by Nautolex. Nautolex is still made. It can be obtained from many, many sources. Now, the colour and texture used in 1963 may not be made any longer.

I have purchased Nautolex flooring vinyl at www.defender.com

Andreas
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Thankyou Very Very Much, I would like to keep the boat as original as possable.
Matthew
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Mat,

Also try "Sailrite" www.sailrite.com they carry a lot of different fabrics and vinyls for boats.

Good Luck and Welcome Aboard!

Phill
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Thanks for the tip, I have samples coming from Sailrite now. I was also given a source from Miles out of California and have seen pictures of his boat they did, IT IS AWESOME! The company is Amtex Mfg telephone 949-635-6060, I believe that they have the material. Call Vikki if anyone else is looking for deck vinyl they are very nice to deal with. Thanks again.
Matthew
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I saw somewhere in Dockside Views the name of the company that still manufactures the white rub rail material, but I can;t seem to find it again. Is there anyone who can tell me where I can get new rub rails? Thankyou.
Matthew
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Mat,

There was a post in May of 2007 on the forum from Andreas.
He said "If this is a vinyl or rubber type of material try Wefco Rubber in California. If it's a metal piece try Taco (NO, not Taco Bell). West Marine handles Taco products."

Phill
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Yup, Wefo Rubber in California is a source for the vinyl rub rail stuff.

Andreas
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Thamkyou I will give Wefco a call :lol:
Matthew
Charles Drumm

Rub Rail

Post by Charles Drumm »

I have a 1963 Sea Lancer that I've been restoring. I have a roll of about 65+ ft. of brand new white rub rail material that is an exact duplicate. I would be happy to send you a sample piece and we can talk Off-line about the cost.

Regards, Chuck Drumm
cdrumm@ameritech.net
440-463-1100 C