My Free Craigslist boat...

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Jaysen82

My Free Craigslist boat...

Post by Jaysen82 »

Hey all,
I have a bit of a project on my hands.
It's a 19 foot Thompson, with a 1986 (i think), 88 h.p. Evinrude.
It's looking to be in good shape, not finding any rot yet, it's however frozen so we'll need some warm weather to thaw out the ice and do a real good assessment.
The previous owner told me he thinks it's a 1962, not sure on the model. What do you guys think?

LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Sweet! Isn't it fun digging stuff out of the snow!

She's a boat made by Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc. at Cortland, NY. This was a different firm from Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. of Peshtigo, WI.

Find a hull ID stamped into the wood of the transom, inside the boat. Also look for a little rectangular metal tag with serial number on it. Is there another metal tag on the transom with maximum HP and weight capacity ratings?

What is the centerline length? Right down the middle from the tip of the bow to the end of the transom?

Looks as if the trailer is too short for the boat. Looks as if the transom is not supported. That could indicate major hull shape problems.

Keep us posted!

Andreas
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

I spotted her as a cortland boat immediately. All the Cortland boats of that vintage that I have seen (including mine) have a different keel configuration than most boats of the same vintage. Called a "vented keel", the frames (ribs) run from the gunwale, pass between an upper and lower keel, and over to the opposite keelson, leaving room for water to flow unobstructed the length of the boat.

Looking forward to seeing what is under your floors - keep us posted!
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
Jaysen82

Post by Jaysen82 »

He everyone.
The former owner sent me an email, saying that he found an old reg with a serial # on it-105076BT000000 1961.

I'll be a while before I get to doing much work on it, but as I do I'll keep you all posted.
Michael J. Seiber

Post by Michael J. Seiber »

Some guys find all the good stuff. Looks like a great project. Good luck moving it and let us see more pictures when you get it thawed out.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

That number from the paperwork is NOT what is on the boat. It probably is a state assigned number.

Look at the inside of the transom for a hull ID stamped into the wood. It may also be on a small rectangular metal tag with the name of the manufacturer and location. What company name is on this tag - COMPLETELY and EXACTLY. This is IMPORTANT information to know.

Andreas