past isues-transom

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

bobh59

past isues-transom

Post by bobh59 »

i am rebuilding the transom on my 59 thompson and heard about an article in a past issue. if any one knows which one it might be i would apreciate the info .thanks alot
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

If you have the old transom, use it as a pattern. Build the new one just like the old one.

Maybe make some improvements. Use better adhesive between the two layers of lumber. Use silicon bronze screws. Maybe sandwich a thin layer of marine grade plywood between the two layers of lumber?

Andreas
Big Ray

Post by Big Ray »

I followed the steps Andreas suggests when I replaced the transom on my Grady White. I duplicated the planking pattern, but sandwiched a piece of 1/2" marine plywood between the planks. I used West Epoxy to glue the outside boards on and TiteBond III on the inside boards. I glued the outside planks on first and then screwed from the plywood side into the Mahogany. This way there are no screw heads to plug on the transom face. I also cut a furnature glue joint on the edges of the planks for extra glue surface area and strength. I think that next time I might try a biscut joint using 1/4" plywood instead. Before you start any assembly, lay out all your screw hole patterns so you don't end up running interior plank screws into the exterior plank screws.
Hope this helps and Good Luck!
1962 Lyman, 16' O/B
1964 Grady White, 16.5' O/B
1967 Lyman, 16' I/O
1956 Chris Craft, 17' Sportsman
bobh59

Post by bobh59 »

thanks for the advice guys. i have a situation where the transom was repaired before ,using one inch marine plwood instead of the original mahogany. i heard the plywood method would be much stronger, but it obviously did not hold up. so kind of a dilema. the plwood sounds easier and better if done properly. unfortunately this is my bussiest time of year for work so time is going to be the hardest part. thanks again, let you know how it works out