1961 seacoaster?

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Dan Wolf

1961 seacoaster?

Post by Dan Wolf »

OK, Im new to boating and to wooden boats. I just bought my first one last fall and am thrilled to say that it ran good and a cup of water in the back. I've been working this craft over the winter and pumping alot of time into her. Ive come to the realization that I love the boat more than boating. Go figure. Anyway someone told me that my boat was some sort of special and know I'm curious. So without further comment. I have:
A 15'-11" from bow to outside stern boat.
HULL # is Y01907
Plate reads:
THOMPSON BROS
Boat Mfg Co.
Peshtigo WIS.
Serial #18343
She is all wood and has Thompson on the steering wheel, which is amber in color with some type of flake in it. It has a back to back bench seat with 2 rear seats that hold storage. Looks like a tan masonite deck with a little storage deck under the bow. What can you tell me about this one? Dan Wolf
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

Andreas should be able to answer your questions. I will send you photos of my '60 Sea Coaster for comparison but I need an email address. I gave you mine.
Verne
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Hi,

Y01907 = the 1,907th boat of all models made in the model year 1960. The serial number also falls withing the 1960 year range.

The SEA COASTER SPECIAL model 475 has a centerline length of 15'-10" and gunwale length of 16'-11" and beam of 72 inches.

She has back-to-back wooden seats. Snap on upholstery was an option from the factory.

Bow and stern lights, cleats and chocks, steering wheel and steering assembly, and windshield did not come standard on this model. They were all options from the factory.

Not sure what the tan Masonite deck is all about. The deck should be Philippine mahogany plywood stained and varnished.

You can purchase the old brochures on a CD-ROM from www.wcha.org and www.dragonflycanoe.com

Andreas
Dan Wolf

Post by Dan Wolf »

Thanks a lot! My boat did come with snap on upolstery. I suspect it is not original because I had to patch up some holes where there used to be snaps. The fit is good though. They are powder blue. The deck is mahogany, I was referring to the floor boards. I think I also got the canvas option because there is a tag on it that says Thompson. A question though I have some type of compass mounted in the bulkhead by the steering wheel that "globe?" inside looks like it split at the "equater", but it seems to work. "aquasomething" Dan
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Aqua Meter was a maker of boat gauges.

Andreas