Aluminum Window Parts

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

gts

Aluminum Window Parts

Post by gts »

I searched Restoration for earlier discussions of aluminum window parts. Several people said they fabricated new windows from scratch, using the old windows as patterns. Is the gasket material for aluminum windows available from any source? It differs from the gasket used on fixed windows set in wood advertised in The Boathouse.

George
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

It may be helpful to know what make, model and year boat that you are restoring.

Andreas
gts

Post by gts »

Sorry... I thought the aluminum operating windows were restricted to just the last years of production wood boats.

This particular boat is the 1966 Thompson (Peshtigo) offshore cuddy cabin 20+ footer. The cabin side windows are fixed but cabin front windows and windshield both have the aluminum frame and top hinge mechanism.

George
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Try Wefco Rubber in California. They have hundreds of patterns of vinyl molding.

Operable aluminum windows started to be utilized by Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. in 1959.

Andreas
gts

Post by gts »

Was the last wooden boat circa 1968? So I wasn't too far off...

Was "Vollrath" the window manufacturer or were they just supplying aluminum parts to Thompson? Their name is stamped on the arm bracket. I'm wondering if there's any way short of dismantling the window and sending Wefco the window seal and the window gasket to match those two forms.

George
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The last wooden boats built at Peshtigo were in 1969.

Look at Wefco's website at their stock profiles and try to find a match.

Vollrath of Sheboygan supplied all sorts of boat hardware and components. I am not sure what they exactly supplied to Thompson at Peshtigo.

Andreas