Flipping Thompson Offshore

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

PeterZ

Post by PeterZ »

New guy here. Looking for first boat. I have a question on flipping a boat for restoration purposes. I have read some forums on flipping Coasters and Lancers. Has anyone flipped a Thompson Offshore via the 'multi-friend' lift and roll method :) . I am looking at a 1964 Thompson 19 footer (or at least that's how its advertised). I am guessing its a version of the Super Lancer, similar to the previous years Offshores.

Does anyone have experience flipping one of these beasts?! This is a reason I was tending towards the Sea Lancer (17'), more manageable for a restore in my garage. This boat is worth the look I think, just wondering how manageable it would be to flip and work on.

Thanks
Peter
Jim Tesno

Post by Jim Tesno »

It's doable, just need more people. Had 8 and we flipped. Bigger problem was carrying into garage once she was on her back.

Brace the inside well. Slide it off trailer onto a couple of tires and she rolls easy.
Jim Tesno
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I'll soon be flipping a 1959 Off-Shore Cabin Cruiser that is 18'-8" centerline length. The cabin and interior has been removed. I'll just give it the old school try with a bunch of friends. 6-8 should be plenty.

Andreas
PeterZ

Post by PeterZ »

I hope this ends up under the 'Flipping the Offshore' post

Thanks Jim and Andreas. Your inputs have given me a little more confidence. The offshore is a big boat, would I be getting myself into to much trouble with this restore as opposed to a Sea Lancer (17'). To me its just a little more wood but same techniques. However this means buying a bigger motor I would imagine.

Jim, when you mentioned trouble getting it in the garage, did you mean lifting it with your buddies or squeezing it through the garage door.

Thanks again, now to go look at the boat. Let me know if you see any Sea Lancers out there ready to be put up for sale (59'-60') that need a restore. :)

Regards
Peter Z
Jim Tesno

Post by Jim Tesno »

Peter:

Regarding getting the boat in the garage, the trouble was somewhat hefty guys trying to squeeze themselves and the boat through the garage door and just the weight of the boat and the awkwardness of carrying it upside down.
Jim Tesno
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

Peter, where are you located? There are lots of thompsons popping up on CL lately.
PeterZ

Post by PeterZ »

I live just east of Syracuse NY. But would be willing to travel. In fact I became interested in a 59' Sea Lancer on CL recently in WI that I was willing to travel for but the guy never returned my calls or emails. Found another on ebay being auctioned by some Chicago inner city org. IT was a 61 Lancer, went for $350!! It was a bit more suspect than the 59'. My problem is working with the present owner in helping me get the trailer pre-ready for the big trip back.

Anyway, please le me know where/when you find them. I have been scoping the Lady Ben site, ebay, and CR. However the CR takes some work as you can't do a country wide search, ... town by town, ... uggggg

Thanks again

Peter Z
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

They are for sale everywhere. Especially this time of year and in this economy.

I know of a '63 Off-Shore Deluxe with I/O that's available in Minnesota.

The bigger the boat - the more materials, time and effort. The proceedures are the same as with a smaller boat.

My '59 Off-Shore Cabin Cruiser fits thru my 9 ft wide x 8 ft tall garage door no problem - with the flying bridge windshield removed!

Andreas
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

I sent you a PM. I will gladly help you get a trailer ready for a trip if you can get it to my house. I have plenty of tools and lots of mechanical knowedge.
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Here's one for you - it's a Corrtland NY built Sea Lancer - looks like the mid level model (there were three models in the early sixties). You can tell it is a Cortland build by the design of the transom and the hull construction (the picture bilge pump keel/frames at the transom, viewed through drain plug access hatch). Note the two part keel and the double frames that run between the upper and low keel components. The frames run out to the sister keelson.

She looks complete.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1960-Tho ... Motorboats
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
PeterZ

1960 ebay boat

Post by PeterZ »

Peter

Thanks for thinking of me. I think that was a Sea Coaster, not a Sea Lancer. I was looking for a 17 footer, anyway, I appreciate the history leason!! This boat helps to explain a bit. I noticed on another Coaster made in Cortland that the windshield frame seemed 'thicker' than what I was used to seeing on WI boats (as seen on this boat), at least from the brochures I have been looking at boats on a CD rom consisting of the many Thompson brochures.

Thanks again, please keep me posted if you see any outboard Lancers or Off Shores out there in WI and MN.

Regards
Peter