55 Offshore keelson

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

larryejoh

55 Offshore keelson

Post by larryejoh »

I have searched all of the postings over keelsons and what is in my boat does not seem to be the same as others. My keelson is made up of one piece approximately 2X4 laying flat from the transom to the stem. Then there is a vertical piece about 2X5 running from the transom to about 8 inches from the stem joint. What I have noticed in the other postings is that the keelson is made up of a single vertical piece with two sisters attached to the sides with the ribs attaching to these. Is this original or was this changed over the years? I know my boat was shorten years ago from 18 to 16 feet due to rot at the transom.
HalcyonDays

Post by HalcyonDays »

Does it look like this?
larryejoh

Post by larryejoh »

No, I need to take a picture and post it. The keelson looks like a upside down "T". The horizonal part of the inverted "T" lays flat on top of the garboard planks with the ribs terminating at each side. The vertical part of the "T" runs from the transom to about the dash board were it ends. From there forward there is just the horizonal board to the stem joint.

Larry
larryejoh

Post by larryejoh »

My ribs terminate on the side of the bottom horizonal piece not the vertical piece like in you picture.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The above picture posted by "HalcyonDays" is of a Cortland built boat after the split with Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. of Peshtigo, WI in January 1959. That design detail came from the drawing board of Walter Scott at the Cortland plant.

It's possible that your 1955 boat was constructed differently than later ones. What you desicribe sould very similar to the smaller strip built boat keelson. You describe to a "T" the keelson in my 1955 Thomboy 14 footer.

Andreas
larryejoh

Post by larryejoh »

After tearing into my boat further I notice that the ribs go into notches in the side of the keelson toward the bow. But I notice that toward the stern they seem to terminate along side the keelson with some white filler between the ends of the ribs and keelson. As far as I can see the keeson is not notched toward the stern. Is this right? Also I found that the carriage and lag bolts that go thru the keelson that hold the "T" together are steel instead of brass. The only brass I have found are the two bolts that go through the joint at the stem and outer keel.
Also does anyone have a picture of an example of the rear seat that is in front of the transom and how it is constructed?
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I highly doubt Thompson Boat would use steel bolts and lags in the 1950s. Very early in the 1900-1930 time period it was common to use steel screws, etc.. .in boats.

Is it possible that this was a repair job sometime after she was built?

I have pictures of the rear seat in my 1957 Thompson of Peshtigo 16'-7" Sea Lancer.

Andreas