boat identification 62 sea lancer??

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

brian62

boat identification 62 sea lancer??

Post by brian62 »

I just bought a 62 sea lancer but im not sure if the year is correct.The tag on the transom reads thompson boat co. NY Cortland hull# 56111.Boat needs work but im looking forward to a nice winter project.Im not much of a carpenter but i got a friend that is and is willing to help out.He doesn't know boat terminology but then neither do i.Hopefully i can get info from this site and pass it along to him.Thanks for any help on the ID of this boat....Brian Jenkins..... Hoosick Falls NY
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

brian
there is a topic titled "nomenclature" that Andreas was kind enough to provide some detailed sketches with the proper names for each piece of the boat. Not only will it help you ask the right questions, but it will help you understand how your boat is put together. I'll look forward to hearing of your progress. Like you, I just bought a project boat, but I'm in SoCal for the winter and the boat is at my summer place in Maine, so I don't get to do anything more than dream and scheme.

Brian W
I'd have a boat and a Harley even if there were no water or roads in the world.
89 MACH I MV1900CC
62 Cruiser's Inc 302V Commander (under restoration) 67 Johnson 100hp Golden Meteor (running like new)
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Greetings and welcome aboard!

Thompson Boat Co. of New York, Inc. hull ID #56111 is a 1960 model year Deluxe 17 footer. This boat was shipped on 29 December 1959 to Charleys Marine in Dumont, NY. It came from the factory with a vinyl top (convertible folding top).

This information came from a ledger of shipping records of the Corltand, NY operation. The original is amongst the Chris-Craft Archives at the Mariners' Museum in Newport News, VA. I started transcribing those records into a computer database. Yours happens to fall within the range of time I completed. Lucky you!

Brochures for Thompson Boat of NY and all the other Thompson marine firms are available for purchase on CD-ROM at www.wcha.org and www.dragonflycanoe.com. It contains all known brochures from the various firms.

Andreas
brian62

Post by brian62 »

Wow what a boat load of info so quick..Thankyou guys for your help.Andreas i had a hunch this boat was not a 1962 just from reading alot of your other posts.Brian W.thanks for your reply as well.I spent about 5 or 6 years as a commercial fisherman out of Scituate MA. and up and down the east coast a bit and the only boat terminology i learned was port, starboard,bow,. stern and GIT YOUR BUTT UP HERE...So learning the lingo will be a plus.I'll keep you all posted as i'll probably be asking a million questions and keeping you up dated along the way.I'm going to keep her as original as possible.It did come with a folding top as well.Everything seems to be original as the day it left the factory..Thanks again guys....Brian J