1962 18ft thompson & 1962 75hp johnson super sea-horse e

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Definately do not use any type of maple for structural items. Maybe for a decorative piece on the dashboard, but nothing anywhere near water. Heart pine? I thought that was extinct? If it is the true old heart pine, it was a species used often in boat construction.

Floor replacement depends upon what you want. I try to mimic the original because I like to keep my boats as close to original as possible. I have used plywood for flooring covered in marine vinyl, like Nautolex. I have seen stained and varnished wood slat floors put in these types of boats.

Andreas
59FLPAN

1961 19ft thompson offshore

Post by 59FLPAN »

THANKS ANREAS, i do have quite a bit of old growth heart pine that i had milled from old factory timbers, my home is all heart pine trim with solid fir doors, i am building a desk and bookcases, i may use some for timbers.

thanks again
jeff
jeffrey w. sanderson
59FLPAN

1961 19ft thompson offshore

Post by 59FLPAN »

hi, looking to find the correct bottom paint for my 1961 19ft offshore model thompson, currently it appears to be green, also where can i buy the correct masonite floor that is alos green?

thank you
jeffrey w. sanderson
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Original bottom paint was either the same as the hull sides (white) or maybe copper bronze. You can find this at any marine store or online at places such as www.jamestowndistributors.com www.classicboatconnection.com, www.southerncrownboatworks.com, etc....

You will never find the textured tempered hardboard (Masonite like) floor material. I tried a few years ago. No one has it.

I have used marine plywood to make floor panels and then cover them in marine vinyl, such as Nautolex. The Sandstone colour is nice.

Thompson Boat at Peshtigo started using Nautolex floor vinyl circa 1962.

Andreas